Panning problems

Started by Dead Parrot, March 21, 2009, 00:25:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Dead Parrot

I don't know if this is specific to IT format or whether it affects others as well, but I've been having a lot of problems with the channel panning settings refusing to set to anything but mono.

The panning sliders on the general tab seem to work for other formats and other music files, but often I will set the panning with one, only to have all the notes played right in the middle regardless of my setting.  Setting the tag for panning at the beginning of the song works only if a note is played on the same line, then it reverts right back to mono for the next note.

The only fix I've seen is to put a panning tag on virtually every note.  Other songs don't seem to have this problem.

Thanks in advance for any fix that might be available.

Sam_Zen

I don't know much about the IT format, but afaik the default pan setting is done in the instrument tab.
One can add a pan code in the pattern, but if none is there, the default pan set rules.

Saga Musix

The panning sliders will be disabled in the next version for all formats except IT/S3M, simply because they don't exist in XM/MOD. MOD has a forced RLLR panning scheme and XM only has panning per sample. So if you use the XM format, you have to adjust the sample's panning or use panning effects in the Pattern. And no, we cannot fix this, since the XM specs do not include panning per channel. However, also the IT format has panning per sample and even panning per instrument, you have to uncheck the "set pan" checkboxes on the instrument and sample tabs.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Before i was working exclusively under .mptm, i used .it exclusively and don't recall having any panning problems, either the note effect (pxx in the third column) or the channel effect (Xxx in the fourth column). Panning should not have to be reset; as a matter of fact, i know it wasn't because i was constantly having to go back and reset my potpans for each channel whenever i changed them to off-center.

On Jojo's advice, if he's the one making the panning changes then i'm sure he will look at that and remind us what each of the pxx, Pxx, and, Xxx effects actually do....

Until then make sure that song is ACTUALLY in .it format, if so, and you need it to work, switch it to .mptm format, which uses all or almost all of the same .it FX, and work with it in that format, till we narrow down your problem.... :wink:

Dead Parrot

Quote from: "Jojo"However, also the IT format has panning per sample and even panning per instrument, you have to uncheck the "set pan" checkboxes on the instrument and sample tabs.

All my samples had the setting checked... after I cleared it on all my samples, stereo settings are working perfectly!  Thank you SO much.   :D