[primal tapes] Zevenmijlslaarzen (ogg)

Started by Sam_Zen, March 07, 2009, 23:41:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Another fairytale? Translated it's something like "Seven miles boots". Made with synth and taperecorder.

Zevenmijlslaarzen - brief version - 5:00

uncloned

the arpeggio becomes just background after awhile - but that is ok - I love how the melodies chase after each other!  This really good Sam!!

At first my impression was Gandalf - but after a few listens I do see this as music for striding through the country side.

Sam_Zen

It seems like arpeggio, but it's done with the oscillators sync function. If the sync is not 100%, then the oscillator gets locked at a higher or lower interval of the base note, building its own scale.

Nice expression, striding..

uncloned

ok - hmmm -  don't think I have a way to do that on my synth.

It really sounds cool.

You may find this an interesting paper - 3 pages on the harmonic series and how the 12 note scale fits into it.

http://www.totallyratted.com/theory/0008_harmonicseries.pdf

Your sync arpeggio probably ends up on the intervals the paper talks about.

Sam_Zen

Just after a quick look already, this paper looks very familiar.
The first harmonic lock of the sync is twice the freq. so the octave. The second harmonic lock is half of the previous one, so indeed the fifth between base and octave. The third one, if the sync is finetuned enough, is again the half of that interval, and so on.

I will try to make an example of such a 'staircase' of notes when syncing.

Maybe a difference with this theory, is the practical sync situation on the synth.
Because going to a lock-step to a higher pitch depends on the 'slave oscillator' (being the output) having a higher frequency than the 'master' oscillator.
If it's lower, the first harmonic will be an octave lower, then the quint between, etc.

Maybe this situation has some similarity with some Indian raga-scales, with a different one going up or going down.

psishock

minimalistic project as i can c. =)
The beginning sounds ok, but after a while i miss some different chords. It should add some more life to the piece.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)