attached plugin(s)

Started by Sam_Zen, March 04, 2009, 20:15:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

I'm a rooky as far as VST plugins are concerned, so maybe a silly question.
Once I've located a VST in some directory with OMPT, it has saved the path, so the plugin is added to the FX list.

Now, if I make a piece using a plugin, I'm planning to add this .DLL to the package together with the tracker file, XM or IT.
So the piece can be played back as it should be. I will only use free plugins, so I suppose it's ok to add them to the zip.

But I wondered : is the tracker module capable of recognizing the .dll ? Then the path is not the original one anymore.

LPChip

No. It will only detect that a plugin is used that is not present in the system.

You need to add the plugin to your OpenMPT setup before loading the module to fix that.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

I see. So opening the module file and then re-opening the plugin at its final place, and saving the module would do ?

bvanoudtshoorn

Not even that. All you would have to do is 'Add' the plugin (without first loading the module), and then load the module. The plugin can be stored anywhere on the system, as long as it's in the list of plugins.

Saga Musix

There's an even more convenient way of adding VSTs to the OpenMPT setup: Simply drag the DLL files on the OpenMPT window, then open your module. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Not even that. All you would have to do is 'Add' the plugin (without first loading the module), and then load the module. The plugin can be stored anywhere on the system, as long as it's in the list of plugins.

Check that. I have found that if you move the VST within your system, the Plugin List checker will not load your plugin (altho you'll be warned when you open MPT).
If you then load a song that uses a VST that is not listed in the Plugin List, the settings IN YOUR SONG for that VST will not be remembered, even if you relocate the plugin for MPT (in its PLugin list). So don't save it! Or you'll have to find all the settings again for your VST when you do find it!
Instead close your song without making changes or saving, open the Plugin list and re-find the VST, so that MPT will recognize the VST. NOW open your song and the VST's settings will be applied....

This is why i keep all of my VSTs in one place (my Documents folder so that i can have other apps use them from one location). Nothing is ever moved, or needed to be moved.

Sam_Zen

I understand, but I was not thinking about moving a plugin, but placing a duplicate at a different path.

uncloned

Sam,

Is what you want is the ability to package VST/VSTi in a module in a convenient fashion like you would, say, a sample instrument?

Chris

Sam_Zen

Yep, that's the idea. Samples can be included in the file, so plugins should be included in the package.

Harbinger

Now i see what you're trying to do -- set up a downloadable package for the track file (as opposed to the audio file).

Including the VST is acceptable, but you might want to consider 2 things:

1. You probably should let the user DL the VST (provide a link) because the VST is intellectual property which i wouldn't equate with a sample.

2. Some VSTs are quite hefty in size, rivalling the size of many .mp3 files. I don't know if you consider that an issue, but you have your own priorities...

If worse comes to worst, you can provide some text somewhere to let the user know what VST he must have.

LPChip

Sam, I get a feeling that I know what you want to do here.

You probably want to try the switch to virtual instruments, but as you're fund of giving your source files, you want atleast be sure that others can still use it.

If you would include the plugins with the package and add a readme.txt file on how to install the plugins in OpenMPT I think you have everything covered.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I always release tunes that use VST (not VSTi) plugins, and I don't see a big problem here. I have a link to my website in the comment text which has a list of VST plugins and where you can download them - and additionally, modplug prompts you to search for the plugins on KVRaudio if you don't have them.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

1. A VST may be intellectual property, but if I've done quite some work making my own samples, it's the same.
I'm not going to use retail plugins, so, as with the samples or patterncodes, mentiong the author seems sufficient to me.

2. Filesize indeed could become a problem, also if many plugins are used, but it ain't that far yet.
In that case the choice will be to provide the link(s) to download.

The advantage of a zipped package is that indeed a readme.txt can be included with the proper information.

Saga Musix

actually, a mod that uses VSTs + the VST plugins is smaller than a mod with the same sound, but encoded to wav samples in many cases. Still, embedding VSTs can be quite risky (who ensures that you don't embed payware VSTs?) and that's why no program does that.

uncloned

however, payware VST/VSTi rarely work w/o a key or serial number or registration of some type - except perhaps in demo mode - in which case you are doing the author(s) a favor by not only distributing the program but by also providing an example of its use.

I don't see that as being a big drawback

Also - it is not the responsibility of the OMPT devs to insure their program is used responsibly. The person doing the music distribution has that responsibility.

If it were the dev's responsibility then beer manufacturers could be sued for the actions of drunk drivers.