[Chillout] Cardboard Mind Voyage (mp3)

Started by Screaming Egg Notion, February 26, 2009, 18:16:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Screaming Egg Notion

Hi all, just introducin myself and posting a track or two... :)
I've been making music now for almost 10 years.. using different programs/tools for the job.. I started off with tracker programs like octamed & FT2.. I use a whole host of different things to make my music nowadays... Hopefully you will like :)

http://clones.soonlabel.com/public/egg/screaming_egg_notion_-_cardboard_mind_voyage.mp3

Chillout with elements of ambient house & dub...

psishock

oh, hellow, welcome and the etc :cheers:

Looks like a nicely EQ-ed, reverbed and arranged song, not too aggressive stuff, perfect for background listening. I really liked the ethno drums. :gjob:
What vsti are you using for percussion work?
I can c that you aren't afraid to use those nice filters almost everywhere. :D
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

I made the acquaintance of Mr. Egg on traxinspace. I rather like his music so I'm helping him out with a bit of hosting.

I find his brand of electronica rather inspiring actually! - in the - "I wanna try that" kind of inspiration. It just hits me in all the right places.

Screaming Egg Notion

The ethnic drums are all one shot samples, slightly modified by myself in soundforge, cant remember where I downloaded the pack or I would link it....

Thanks for all the kind comments clones :)  I was kind of expecting to hear comments like "too repetitive" and "not enough variation" at TiS. Glad I was mistaken :)

uncloned

The songs I rated there you certainly evolved the piece IMHO.

That to me was the nice balance.

One of the balancing acts is to have enough repetition (or some relationship) to maintain unity and at the same time have enough variation to keep it interesting. As opposed to TiS many ModPlug composers do an admirable job of this balancing act IMHO.

Myself... I often take variation to an extreme at times I'm afraid - I like it but others rarely do.

Sam_Zen

Nice build up. Introduced drums a bit simple as a rhythm. Nice use of the vocoder. Could have been done more.

LPChip

The intro certainly is nice. It builds up and keeps your attention focussed to the song.

Then you introduce a 4/4 beat pattern, something I don't really like. It does fit this song very well though, so its not a negative thing. Its just me. :nuts:

Apart from the 4/4 beat pattern, I do like it.

When I'm past 3 minutes, I do loose focus a bit. You seem to have drifted away with the song, and thats bad. It does take on after a while and it picks up the mood but that gap is something you would like to avoid. I nearly ended the song prematurelly. Now I'm very picky and like to be entertained when I listen to music... For that reason, I don't like pure ambient either. But Ambient mixed with another style, I really like that.

Overall, the song has some very nice parts, but its not a keeper for me.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Excellent use of delay to create a nice arpeggiation, and a simple chord progression to keep the dance moves uncomplicated. I would have like more layering as the vocalizations made themselves known, but without a real melody this song serves its label well. That bizarre ending really gets your attention though. It's a keeper, folks! I'm liking what i'm hearing from you, new guy!:P