[New Wave Trance]Connection(mp3)

Started by Harbinger, February 21, 2009, 02:09:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Connection

(I see some of you have already downloaded it before i had a chance to write this up! :lol: )

Another attempt at real Trance, but alas, i fell back into my New Wave roots as i often do -- maybe i should just call it New Wave Trance...
I was inspired a lot by psishock, but i just couldn't mimic him. He has a mindlessness that i can only envy! (Ahh to be young and carefree.... :( )

The words were old samples i had lying around that i was actually waiting to put in to their project, but i realized i had a perfect composition here that the words would fit in nicely. So i assembled the song (Yjana did the drum AND bass programming), then spliced some vocal samples together to add to the song's vision.

The song's vision is NOT sexual, although it uses the idea of the human relationship as a catalyst to the inspiration. That inspiration draws upon the wondrous ability to reach from one's self to that which is not the self. Our Creator might have put us in a universe where there was no connection between entities, but connection is so important to all of existence, but especially to sentient beings, whether it be through sex or art or worship. Physical touch is only the most apparent manifestation of this ability and even desire to extend ourselves from our selves.

As usual, the link is to the license page: please don't claim any part or all of it as your own, and don't broadcast or make money from it.  :wink:

UPDATE: As of 4/25/9 this song and its license is transferred to Tassel of Blue, who helped immensely with the production and progression of this music.

uncloned

I find this very very appealing.

The general mood, the excellent selection of instruments, samples, and balance.

I can't understand all of the words yet but I do have affection for female voices - so that appeals to me as well.

Thank you for sharing.

psishock

Quote from: "Harbinger"I was inspired a lot by psishock
Feel so honored and happy ^^.

Quote from: "Harbinger", but i just couldn't mimic him.
omg omg, wucha sayin'? :shock: You've totally nailed the important details, i love your work and the idea! I can see "behind what i hear" and that melody is a massive asskickin' trance hit Harbinger. It just needs a bit touch here and there *fixing it*, oh, and here we go: Aeon - Connection (Signal Chain messup)  :D  :D  :D (srry for the rough mixing, i was in a hurry)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Yep, thanks for sharing. As usual Yjana did a nice job here.. A bit of a rough fade out at the end.
Couldn't follow all the vocals either, they are lacking a bit eq to the mid / hi, but if it should be like that, fine by me.

2 Psi - strange play with the position of the kick..

Harbinger

Quote from: "psishock"It just needs a bit touch here and there *fixing it*, oh, and here we go: Aeon - Connection (Signal Chain messup)  :D  :D  :D (srry for the rough mixing, i was in a hurry)

Uh-oh. You may have overstepped your license, psishock. Pull that download back, and let me disseminate any "fixed" versions to my music. You of course may fix it yourself for your own listening pleasure, but i must put my foot down about someone taking my music and re-releasing it themselves. ESPECIALLY in a place i know nothing about.

Even if the music was inspired by you.... :wink:

psishock

lol, haven't planned to release it at all :D, i was just having a good time making it, but i'll pull the link down if you wish that. *deletes it* Done, never existed. ::)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

I don't really know how you could use this license for any "freeware" music production. Can't you accept that someone critizes you and shows you how to do it properly? I wonder why you chose the "no derivatives" license, this is very very usual in a community that's so close to the tracking-/demoscene. I'm actually very proud if someone decides to remix my music (which did not happen that often)...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Thank you, psi! You had me worried. I am definitely interested in your take but i'd rather you send the file to me and if the mix fits the inspiration then i'll upload it on our site, with credit to you of course.

Now for the matter of the vocal samples...

The words came from an old Windows 3.1 game, which wouldn't work on my new XP machine, and before i toss out old software, i always pull out the resources in case i can use them somewhere else (like sounds, images, etc). This particular set of sounds so had many phrases from a fictional female computer that i can actually compose just about any sentence i want with a little splice work from Audacity.
So after the song was all set out, i discovered these samples and "connected" them to this song (sorry 'bout that! :) )

Yes, i did mean to keep them off the foreground, because they are not lyrics, just sounds.

Here's the phrases, if i'm remembering them correctly:

----------
"I understand."
"Contact me."

"You have some kind of insight
that i can't understand..."

"Contact."

...touch...
...touch...
...touch...
...touch...
"Touch me."
"Touch me."
"Please touch me."
"Touch me."
"Don't touch me."
"Please don't touch me!"

"Press."
"Press."
"Touch."
"Touch."
"Impress me."
"Impress me."
"Touch me."
"Touch me, please touch me....
Deep inside me...."

"I admire your courage."
"I admire you."
"I love you -- i will do as you ask."
"I love you."

"As you ask."

----------

Keep your eyes open in this section; i have some samples from the same source that would make a killer EDM track.

One more loose end:

Quote from: "psishock"You've totally nailed the important details, i love your work and the idea! I can see "behind what i hear" and that melody is a massive asskickin' trance hit Harbinger.

I feel like i've just been given an A by the professor! From my POV this is not true Trance, because there's too much melodic progression. Real Trance focuses on sonic progression, with chord progression and melody used as a vehicle (if at all!). While this song does start with a sonic filtering (i used the DSK Odisea; try that one out - great for EDM!), i "degenerated" into a chord progression that for me seemed too prominent. But i thank you for the accolades, psi -- altho i'm going to call this kind of EDM New Wave Trance, just because of that subtle focus on traditional melodic structure, with less attention to sound transformation.

EDIT:
No, one more loose end!

Thanks to all of your for your perspectives. I appreciate all of your ears passing by my music, and i'm humbled that you enjoy it.... :oops:

Saga Musix

This is indeed way more New Age than Trance. I like the snare sample, I used to use this one a lot, too. Nice playing with the rez filters at 2:30. All in all, a nice composition, but not Trance at all IMO. :)

BTW:
The song's vision is NOT sexual, although it uses the idea of the human relationship as a catalyst to the inspiration.  (.........)
No offense, but this sounds sooooo American. :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

You mean cliché?
I liked the song, just the ending a bit weird but from the start til almost end it's brilliant.
^^

Harbinger

That's what i mean Rakib when i talk about New Wave. Back in the 80s when i came of age musically, i grew up on what we now call Synthpop. We called it New Wave. If it was really sappy and happy and used the latest in synthesizers and drum sequences, we called it Bubble-Gum, which now has been re-classified as the happy-go-lucky pop rock that was produced in the 60s and 70s. But there was a big focus on melodic and chord progression in pop music, (ostensibly because producers wanted the songs to be "singable"), more than sonic progression that occurred in 90s EDM (which had to be danceable).
So as the song progresses, especially at the end, my focus drifted from sonic progression to chord progression, and then (at the end) melodic progression. If it's Trance, it's only because of the BPM, and the sonic filtering....

Quote from: "Jojo"This is indeed way more New Age than Trance. I like the snare sample, I used to use this one a lot, too. Nice playing with the rez filters at 2:30. All in all, a nice composition, but not Trance at all IMO. :)

German New Age apparently sounds VERY different from American New Age. There is a sonic progression but the drum track makes it EDM, not New Age...

Quote from: "Jojo"No offense, but this sounds sooooo American. :D

None taken. I assume you mean the kind of happiness or bubble-gum innocent attitude that seems to permeate our side of the ocean. I think i understand. I've listened to your music, too, and it definitely sounds German -- dark, foreboding, and quite serious.

No offense... :lol:

Saga Musix

QuoteGerman New Age apparently sounds VERY different from American New Age. There is a sonic progression but the drum track makes it EDM, not New Age...
Well, its not really 100% New age, that's true. But it has those typical sounds that I instantly connect (no pun intended :D) with that genre.