LPChip's weirdness @ the bottom of his previous post

Started by Really Weird Person, January 17, 2006, 14:03:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

So, LPChip, how does MPT make your life harder? As far as music is concerned, it makes mine easier. The only problem is that there is not really a portable version of it. Maybe after you add the additions to the PC version of MPT (if you do), you can think about making a portable version of it next. I think that, that would be a good idea. What do you think? I suppose that, if you do not plan on making any modifications to the current version of the PC version, you could think about a portable version right now.

LPChip

Actually, MPT doesn't make my life harder at all. It gets better with every new release, and I greatfully thank Rewbs for that.

If you'd like to mobilize with MPT, perhapse you could do what I did... Get yourself a laptop and run MPT from there :)

Its actually quite neat to get you and your laptop to a forest, or somewhere else in nature, and let you be inspired by its peace.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

There is quite a bit of truth to that 1; however, with a laptop, you would have to have 1 of 3 things (having all 3 would be great).

1. A laptop with built-in Wi-Fi (then you would not have to worry about accidentally breaking your Wi-Fi card)
2. A laptop with a built-in SD card reader (or use an FTP server to transfer the files if you have Internet access)
3. An external SD card reader (if #2 is not met).

A Palm or pocket PC would have the 1st 2 (if you got the right models of either 1, or both of them), + it would be pocket size/palm size (unlike a laptop). Hence the names (pocket PC (a pocket-size PC), Palm (a handheld the size of the palm of your hand), laptop (a computer designed for your lap, not your palm or your pocket)).

Also, the Palm & the pocket PC both have built-in keyboards, so you would not have to worry about not being able to use ModPlug Tracker (the stylus is the mouse's substitute).

Do you see my reasoning there, LPChip?

LPChip

You do not necessarilly need these.

Any laptop nowadays has a network connector. A laptop is made to be used as a standalone device (like a pocket pc). You can simply unplug it from the network, go somewhere, track music, save the song to harddisc, come home, connect to network, get files over network to your other pc.

I hope you get my reasoning here.

I happen to have a laptop with buildin Wifi, Have a router with wifi Access point at home and have an additional cardreader for several cards buildin.

Its true that the sound of the laptop isn't that great (so headphones are a must).
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Matt Hartman

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"There is quite a bit of truth to that 1; however, with a laptop, you would have to have 1 of 3 things (having all 3 would be great).

1. A laptop with built-in Wi-Fi (then you would not have to worry about accidentally breaking your Wi-Fi card)
2. A laptop with a built-in SD card reader (or use an FTP server to transfer the files if you have Internet access)
3. An external SD card reader (if #2 is not met).

A Palm or pocket PC would have the 1st 2 (if you got the right models of either 1, or both of them), + it would be pocket size/palm size (unlike a laptop). Hence the names (pocket PC (a pocket-size PC), Palm (a handheld the size of the palm of your hand), laptop (a computer designed for your lap, not your palm or your pocket)).

Also, the Palm & the pocket PC both have built-in keyboards, so you would not have to worry about not being able to use ModPlug Tracker (the stylus is the mouse's substitute).

Do you see my reasoning there, LPChip?

Wouldn't this be a bit silly? I'm not trying to discredit your ideas, but my obvious question would be that of screen/viewing manageability? I would think the limited resolution and physical screen size would make writing music on a palm or pocket PC a very frustrating and time consuming experience, which would greatly counter the convenience of going mobile?

The physical strain on your eyes would have to be very unhealthy in time, and the constant scrolling of tracks would be as they say, "a bitch".
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

Really Weird Person

I guess, just like any other comparisons, there are pros & cons to each.