Sad about Soundfonts

Started by Nola, February 17, 2009, 15:42:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Nola

Hello,

I've been really dying to expand my timbral palette beyond the same old sounds.

So I got 10 different nice GM soundset banks, ranging from 20 to 130MB.
I've loaded them all into MPT.

I've also downloaded some individual pianos and nice sounds.

In every other software I use, soundfont player, etc, they work flawlessly.

But,
Sadly, only about 1 out of 20 soundfonts works in Modplug.

Most of the instruments are wildly out of tune, random notes in the sample map are missing samples (there will be just an arbitrary one missing) And half the instruments sound like weird quarter tone scales.

It's really a shame because Soundfont GM banks would be a great way to have a nice big palette of sounds in MPT.

My list looks like this:

But MOST of the sounds don't work. It's just really sad!
Modplug does not import the right frequency values for SOME samples.

And it randomly does stuff like this:

Here is a link to some soundfont GM banks you can test out to see for yourself.
You need SfArk to extract them.
http://www.personalcopy.com/sfarkfonts1.htm

Is there any chance of this getting fixed?
It's been "bugged" like this for 8 years now.

Wouldn't it be nice to have 1000 new sounds?

- Nola

Saga Musix

MPT is well known for not supporting modern soundfonts properly. I guess it supports SF2 Version 1, but nothing more recent. But you can try the "VSTSynthFont" VST-Plugin. Either use it as a VSTi in the tune or "export" the sounds that you want to have in your module (saving notes one by one).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nola

I do not want any kind of VST plugins-- that defeats the whole entire reason behind even using a tracker in the first place.

I use a tracker because of the effect commands, the ability to do beautiful dynamic things with individual notes that Midi cannot.

If I was going to use plugins I definitely would not be using Modplug.

Saga Musix

Then do as suggest; Download the plugin, load the soundfonts into the plugin and play a single note through the plugin and do a wav export. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nola

Why don't the developers fix the SF2 importing code?

Saga Musix

To be honest, I have other priorities than looking into the latest SF2 specs. Like looking into the VST specs instead. Also, the latest SF2 specs are not compatible with MPT at all, because there's no way to do multisampling in a tracker.

Nola

but this is super important... I mean where else can I get big banks of sounds for modplug?

psishock

I understand Nola, but why don't you try at least to load your favorite sound banks with a VSTi that handles them perfectly, as Jojo advised? The chances are high that you will find it even more comfortable than the OMPT's internal system.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Nola

Because I do tons of portamento, pitch slides, fine pitch slides, tremolo, vibrato, Kxx, note cut VS note off, etc...
That is the only *reason* I use modplug at all.

Without those things I see no reason to use Modplug at all.

psishock

I'm using only VSTis with trackers and believe me, you can archive much more control over the given sound than with internal tracker effects. OMPT is very good for vsti purposes too, don't have to look for another host if you're going to try. :D
Oh, and "note cut" is a bad idea to start with, anyway. :D

Nola

psishock

ah, Renoise does the job better. ;)

LPChip

Psishock, he said note-off.

I can understand where you're coming from Nola, The biggest problem is that most SF2's are multilayered. Even while it technically is possible to convert them to .iti files so you can load them into modplug, it might very well mean that you'll have 2 or more instruments to play just one sound.

If you're interested in converting your SF2 to an .iti, then look at awave studio. With the trial version you should be able to export one sound to .iti (not complete banks, but manually you should archieve what you want)

Otherwise, look on the internet for either .xi or .iti files. That way you can get what you want and it'll actually work!
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Nola

hey LPChip... I spent a whole day searching for ITI's a little while ago.. All I found was very few 8 bit old geocities web sites with really "cheap" sounds.. just really bad...

Doesn't compare at all to these nice SF banks..

Try googling for IT instruments, you will have no luck!
I asked a bunch of tracker guys I know too, none of them knew where to find any.

psishock

LP: i disagree. :D He said
Quote from: "Nola"note cut VS note off
note off is fine, but ompt is suffering from the "note cut" idea at the moment.