[Melodic Trance] - Listen Up!

Started by Rakib, February 16, 2009, 04:26:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

Quote from: "uncloned"Rakid,

If you can provide a midi I can run it through Garritan Personal Orchestra for you - no problem.

Chris

I work only with Modplug, but I'll try to make a version myself and then you can comment and help me move forward. I have been stuck with trance for a long time and it's time to try other genres, even though I may say that orchestral and trance isn't that far apart.
^^

uncloned

I guess it comes down to what is meant by orchestral.

If it is symphony sounds with a beat, I guess not.

If it is building a piece w/o a beat that relies on "notes" and not tone color or sheer repetition - I think it may be a bit different.

Harbinger

Quote from: Rakib
Quote from: "uncloned"I have been stuck with trance for a long time and it's time to try other genres, even though I may say that orchestral and trance isn't that far apart.

I think you mean something else other than "Orchestral" which is not a genre but a way of producing music. You'll have to clarify. (If you mean "Classical", nothing could be more different from Trance than Classical! :) )

Everyone is picky about one thing or another, especially artists. Sam_Zen needs titles, uncloned hates repetition, etc... my bugaboo is letting others compose for you. I understand your desire to try something else -- that's admirable. It's a part of every artist's growth.

My advice as an old bag at this is to set it aside if you think it's incomplete, and come back to it some other time. Experiment with other genres that interest you, maybe classical, punk, or chiptunes, if you find them somehow inspiring. Wait for the inspiration to come to you. Don't force anything, and DEFINITELY don't take direction from others (even me! :wink: ).  You will be infinitely more satisified as an artist when you complete a project on YOUR terms with YOUR ideas at YOUR time.

I know you asked for advice, and i know the others who gave it weren't trying to step on any toes, but there comes a point where the artist must step back and take back control of his project. One of the joys of art (and music) is knowing that it's yours (even if it's a group effort) and yours alone.

Until then i can't waiit to hear it when YOU say it's complete! :)

That's my 2 cents...take it or leave it :wink:

uncloned

+1 Harbinger

I think ultimately one writes for one's self first. At least if you want to be happy.

I think some people write for others - and  I also think they start producing music by formula. I can only imagine that this is an empty path.

Harbinger

My sentiments exactly. Art is one of the most self-focused things one can undertake. It requires almost a monomaniac to be good at it , no matter what the media, even "performance" art. (It's also why so few good artists make good marriage partners. Inconsiderate bastards! :twisted: )

Myself, i have found that when i'm composing EDM or other types of pop music, that i don't do it by formula, UNLESS the music happens to "want" to be by formula. Nothing saps the soul out of music as artists that don't let the inspiration be itself, or producers that want the music dressed up in a particular style. Each inspiration knows where to go, and a good artist will recognize it! :wink:

Rakib

I see your points and I know it's all well meant.

As you all probrably know english is not my mother tongue so I might have been a bit unclear about what I really meant when I wrote what I did.

1. I was thinking about making a new mix of my song, not alter the original one. I love strings, piano, violin, harp and all the classical instruments. Making a song with only those instruments would be a great challenge for me and is something I have been looking at before. House is also a genre I've looking at before without managing to make a whole song out of it. Why I thougth uncloned's idea was good was because, here I already had a melody to work on and therefore it would maybe be easier to complete classical song.

Harbinger: Actually I think trance and classical has a lot of similarities, thinking about the build-ups in the songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWLagP7Zr_A

If you say this build up couldn't be on a classical song, I strongly disagree. Listen from 3.15.

And as for the second point, as an artist and a person who is posting his songs here on the forum I not here to just get a one-liner review like: this rocks/sucks. As an artist I always want to improve and getting impulses from you guys doesn't only improve the mentioned song but me also as a artist. That's why I listen to other songs to be inspired and I hope maybe I can inspire others too one day. I value your opinons but It doesn't mean that I am going to follow them, overall it is me who are making the song.

And for suggestions, anyone wants to collaborate with me, on making a song with mpdplug tracker? I know two heads are better than one.

Peace out!

And btw I have now given the song a title and also updated the song, please continue to give your comments.

http://nxjthw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pm3Fp5Sq1d8cq4k46a4O9wR3ea4uhBbv239najzMVw9Tj8mJdVaEk7pupAnUhVFi1c_R-iPzOjbs/ggfv2.mp3?download
^^

Sam_Zen

Nice update. More enhanced dynamics in the song.
OT : the tube by Andy Blueman certainly shows Terragen movies.

Saga Musix

A nice trance tune, but the chord progression seems to be rather unconventional at times.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Intro has a "false compressor" feel that may actually be a ping-pong effect of samples. The main melody is pleasant and open, with just the right amount of reverb. The layering was perhaps too simple but he's not composing the next Wagnerian epic opera. However, the song doesn't seem to develop fully so one feels it doesn't go on long enough. Either it should have taken more time to explore themes or explored themes more compactly (or not had a melody at all).