[Trancy something] Doop (mp3)

Started by Rakib, February 08, 2009, 16:04:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

^^

psishock

The structure is variable enough and the choice of sounds are quality enough.
2 things that i can recommend:
- change the lead sound that enters on 02:06 it really does not fit in this song imo.
- The melody itself (that is played with the lead sound) is kinda flat and uninspiring, i would totally reconstruct it. With "good" melody i mean something that you can croon even after a few months, but if it's inspiring, at least, 'till the song last, it's still good enough for the case.
(i'm taking a risk to anger the composer with a comments like these, but my choice is to be honest and straight in every case.) :wink:
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

I like the fact you move off of the one bass note - most trance I've heard sticks to one note.

That change up is catchy to me.

Sam_Zen

To me, the fun starts right after 2:06. Before that, just a structure with hardly any variation, especially not in the background.
I like the sound of the lead, but in use it's indeed quite flat as a melodic aspect.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Typical music at a Rave, but unusually gothic in mood, sticking strictly to minor chords. If the undead held a Rave party, this is what the DJ would play in his rotation.:P With each movement, I detect a Theme and Variations routine, repeating, but not quite. Would love to know the meaning of the title.

Go ahead and call it Goth Trance! :)

Rakib

Goth trance, haha that's a funny name. I'll see what I'm going to do with the song. I thought it was done even though the synth on 2,06 isn't all that good.

Working on other more real trance songs now.
^^

Harbinger

Well, take any advice you can from psishock. He's the resident expert on Trance (whether he knows it or not! just don't tell him or he might get a big head and start ordering people around :P ). Study his works, incorporate your own style, and you will keep people here looking forward to your next work (at least those of use who like dance music)!  8)

BTW, i love the "mindlessness" of Doop. It's perfect for Trance. If in your mind the work is not complete, when you revisit it, see if you can tone down the parts where the sustain/reverb ends the section. It gets almost obnoxiously loud, even though its an excellent idea for the cadence. Despite this, though it's staying in my rotation! :)