[electronic other] daily 20090210 alpha tuning (mp3)

Started by uncloned, February 11, 2009, 03:49:35

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/daily20090210alpha.mp3

Ok,

Yesterday I purchased a Roland GR-20 kit. This comes with a hexaphonic guitar pickup which picks up each string and converts your playing to midi.

Using that and a soft synth I played my guitar in Carlos Alpha tuning with a piano sound. The output is glitchy (I've only had about an hour playing time) but not too bad. All I did was increase the tempo by twice to make this improvisation flow better. All of the weird bends are there even though they shouldn't be... I'm working on that.

This of course opens a new avenue for me and microtonal because the construction of the guitar makes certain intervals easier to play.

Chris

(this is from an email to the microtonal music list - but you get the picture. - Alpha tuning by Wendy Carlos uses a 5th as the octave)

Sam_Zen

A very good improvisation, Clones. It explores every aspect of this tuning.
Please keep the bends, I like them.

uncloned

Thank you for the listen and comment Sam. I think this is going to be a great tool once I get some proficency in using it.

I downloaded your latest this morning but didn't have a chance to listen yet.

psishock

oh oh, much more nicer tuning-work on the piano then last time, you've did the detuning part more tighter and now it works very well for my ears.
It certainly feels that it was played with a "guitar" (even the sudden pitch changes are matching :D), but it's so strange to hear a piano sound rather than a guitar string.
Also the microtonal is working out well, it's sooo unnatural, but i like what i'm hearing and therefore i can really enjoy the new sounds. =)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

Hi Psi,

I don't know how much credit I can claim - I think Wendy Carlos invented the tuning.

Interesting you still feel it is guitar. To be honest I'm not too happy with this.
I just wanted to unwind last night and decided to share it.

Thanks for the listen.