1.17.02.52 Convert Samples to Instruments allows too many smp

Started by Really Weird Person, January 22, 2009, 03:35:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.52

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
I am not sure.

Description of the bug:
It would appear that I cannot map instruments to anything beyond 255, but the samples go beyond that point.

How often does it happen?:
Most likely anytime you try to map an instrument to a sample 256 or greater

How to reproduce (step by step description):
Step 1:  Create at least 256 samples.
Step 2:  Insert something into at least sample 256.
Step 3:  Map any instrument note to sample 256
If done correctly, you should see two hyphens -- and, when you right click that note, you should see a "Map all notes to Sample 0" option. This is a sine :lol: that it does not work!
The bug report ends above this sentence. See below for some funny things.

Some math for you:

End. The sine of Daisy is -0.802385288.
↓. The cosine of Daisy is 0.596806375.
Page Down. The tangent of Daisy is -1.344465009.
←. The arcsine of Daisy is ... Hmm, she has no arcsine.
Clear. The arccosine of Daisy is ... Hmm, she has no arccosine either? Let's try arctangent next then!
→. The arctangent of Daisy is 1.570795787.
Home. The cosecant of Daisy is -1.246284067.
↑. The secant of Daisy is 1.675585319.
Page Up. The cotangent of Daisy is -0.743790276.
End-Insert. The hyperbolic sine of Daisy is ... Hmm, she has no hyperbolic sine.
End-End. The hyperbolic cosine of Daisy is ... Hmm, she has no hyperbolic cosine.
End↓. The hyperbolic tangent of Daisy is 1.
End-Page Down. The inverse hyperbolic sine of Daisy is 15.12463172.
End←. The inverse hyperbolic cosine of Daisy is also 15.12463172.
End-Clear. The inverse hyperbolic tangent of Daisy is ... Hmm, she has no inverse hyperbolic tangent.
End→. The hyperbolic cosecant* of Daisy is ... Hmm, she has no hyperbolic cosecant.
End-Home. The hyperbolic secant* of Daisy is ... Hmm, she has no hyperbolic secant.
End↑. The hyperbolic cotangent* of Daisy is 1.

* Valid function?

Edit by mod: Added +255 samples to the title to make it more understandable from the index.

Edit by dev :P:[/b]: Changed  title completely (was: Sample Mapping (+255 samples))

Saga Musix

I cannot even create more than 199 samples in version .52. How did you manage to create more than 199 samples?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

After a certain number of samples, you should see a "Too many samples." error. If you make instruments out of those samples, however, you should then be able to go as far as needed (with the samples).
Yep, when you reach 199 samples, the next one gives you the error, but if you make an instrument, you will be prompted to convert all of your samples to instruments. Click yes (or press Y or Alt-Y), and then a 200th instrument (as well as a 200th sample) is made.

LPChip

In that case, the bug seems to be that it allows you to create more samples after the 199th one. You're exploiting a bug and then are puzzled why it doesn't work? Duh. :P :nuts:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Yes, you have obviously reported the wrong bug. :nuts:
Seems like some boundaries aren't checked here, we'll have to look into this.

(going to change the thread title)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

That is possible, except that I find it odd that, when I mapped something to sample 255,  a red dot appeared, but when I tried 256, the red dot did not appear. Doesn't that seem odd? Unless that is the bug
Perhaps the program only allows up to 255 samples, but for whatever reason, it can display [but apparently not support the use of] ones past that point. I am not sure.

Saga Musix

I guess that the sample map is handled with unsiged 8-bit integers, which have a range from 0 to 255. In theory, the editor shouldn't allow anything above 199, but it can go up to 255. Shouldn't be happning, of course.

Relabsoluness

Works fine for me, i.e. can map samples beyond 255 in sample map.

The maximum number of samples is currently 4000.

Really Weird Person

What format did you use, Relabsoluness? When I use the OpenMPT format, I receive two periods (or hyphens, whatever they are) in the mapping column (next to the note, where the sample number itself is) when I try to map a note to sample 256. Perhaps I actually need an older format. That seems weird though. In addition to it seeming weird, I would then potentially not have enough patterns to make some of my songs (240 * 16 is only 3,840, whereas 65,000 * 16 is 1,040,000!)

Here are some jokes for you to ponder.

1. What kind of critters do secret agents like?
2. What do boxers and astronomers have in common?

I thought up the last two.
3. Why did the letter I love the letter O so much?
4. How does a day feel after spinning on a merry-go-round?

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"What format did you use
IT and MPTM.

Really Weird Person

Are you sure that is ≈ 65° and not ≈ 65 radians? (referring to your location) :lol: