Asio help

Started by totally_mental, January 29, 2009, 12:16:13

Previous topic - Next topic

totally_mental

ok last help thread I promise! you must be getting sick of me haha!
I DID try and search & although I found lots of Asio related things, the error message I searched for didn't come up.

I get a 'unable to open sound device!' message. I'm using an M-audio 192 audiophile I think it's called. and Asio works with other stuff I have.

LPChip

Its known for ASIO to only allow one connection to it at a time.

Are you perhaps using another audio program that has the ASIO connection opened? If so, it can block MODPlug from initialising the ASIO soundsystem.

My advice would be to close all sound related applications except OpenMPT, and then try to set the sound to Asio.

If that still doesn't work, make sure that you set it to the correct settings, like 44.1 khz, 16 bit stereo. Even if you prefer other settings, getting it to work should be your first priority, tweaking it from there, step by step, is the next one. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Your second advice regarding bitrate is nice, but useless. The soundcard (or rather, the sound driver) tells the application which bitrate it has to work in. So there shouldn't be any bitrate problems, the card chooses the bitrate (e.g. 32bit) itself.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"Your second advice regarding bitrate is nice, but useless. The soundcard (or rather, the sound driver) tells the application which bitrate it has to work in. So there shouldn't be any bitrate problems, the card chooses the bitrate (e.g. 32bit) itself.

I mentioned just to be on the safe side X)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

Safe.... from Jojo :D? You gotta be kiddin' me. :D
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "LPChip"If that still doesn't work, make sure that you set it to the correct settings, like 44.1 khz, 16 bit stereo.
This certainly isn't a useless advice -- changing these settings can indeed make the ASIO work.

Saga Musix

The sampling rate, yes. but the bit depth shouldn't be an issue. I tried to set it to 16bit anyway; it will be reset to 32bit on my ASIO device.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

i can do ASIO on 16bit.

Saga Musix

That's because your device supports it then. :)

psishock

uncloned

have you tried :

http://www.asio4all.com/

?

it even gets Vista to work mostly right.

Saga Musix

it gets vista to work? unbelievable... :O
:lol:

uncloned

yep

My Quad is a Vista 64 machine. Sonar would not see the on board audio until I installed ASIO 4 All

I ended up putting a Audigy in the box as well and ASIO4ALL got that to work properly as well.

Vista does suck when it comes to supporting real audio programs. just sucks.

I can understand that they changed the driver model - but when programs, like Sonar, that are written expressly for Vista have trouble... come on.

On the other hand I have www.virtualbox.org an XP pro install running in a virtual machine that is really fast and owrks great - even with streaming video/sound it only takes up about 35% of the CPU.

My install of Windows 98 for Fast Tracker II compatibility didn't go so well though... - I'm trying dosbox next.

Sam_Zen

Yep. FTII definitely needs real dos.
Asio 4 all is quite good.

Saga Musix

on a good win98 setup (read: with a real SB/GUS card), FT2 and IT will also run smoothly.