VST making a module act weird. Bug or not?

Started by Dictator, February 12, 2009, 13:45:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Dictator

This is the situation. I use a VSTi plugin called DSK Brass for brass sounds. It loads and I put two notes after each other (with an normal instrument bass playing at same time). It works for the first time, but once I replay the song, it does not play the first note.

However, it works when I don't place the first note on the row 0. If I just put it to row 1, the note plays normally. Also, when I press a key with the VST selected in the pattern window, it won't play anything during the first keypress. On the second it works again. This problem persists even if I move the notes away from row 0.

Other VSTis I have tried don't have a problem like this. Have any others here encountered this problem with another VSTi, or DSK Brass if somebody uses it? Could this just be an incompatibility issue, or a bug in MPT (could propably be a bug in the VSTi)?

I hope I made some sense with my explanation. I didn't know if this was a bug with MPT so I didn't post this to the bug section.

Saga Musix

It sounds like a bug in the VSTi to me, have you tried any other hosts than MPT?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nahkranoth

Once I had the same problem, only that it was Superwave P8. I had relatively slow machine for P8 at that time. Now there's no such problem, but I wish to know if it's a bug or something.
It may be bug with OMPT, have you tried more recent version?
Or it is due to these 2 plugins created with old version of some synthedit modules, which are buggy.

psishock

Downloaded DSK Brass.
Tested with the recent OMPT (.53beta), it bugs as Dictator described.
Loaded the plugin inside Chainer and tested it again, it behaves the same as without.
Tested with Renoise, it works perfectly, without bugging.
Conclusion: the bug is somewhere in OMPT.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

Have you tried the "panic" button in renoise (which should equal openmpt's "stop" button)?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

lemme try....
yea, works just fine even after the panic "hard-cut".

LPChip

I expect this to be because OpenMPT closes the sounddevice when you stop, so an initialise is being executed. The panic button on renoise doesn't have to trigger this initialise when you play the song or notes, but can do that right after you pressed panic.

I bet this problem wouldn't exist if the sounddevice stays open.

Try playing a note in the instrument tab to open the sounddevice. First note should probably not play, but the second would.

Then play the song. The sounddevice is still open and there shouldn't be an initialise routine fired.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

Dictator

Quote from: "LPChip"Try playing a note in the instrument tab to open the sounddevice. First note should probably not play, but the second would.

Then play the song. The sounddevice is still open and there shouldn't be an initialise routine fired.
Right. Is there any way to get around this without having to play the instrument each time before starting the song?

uncloned

what about starting off with a scratch pattern that contains 1 note?

if you use a wav editor like audacity before publishing the scratch pattern can be removed easily.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Dictator"
Quote from: "LPChip"Try playing a note in the instrument tab to open the sounddevice. First note should probably not play, but the second would.

Right. Is there any way to get around this without having to play the instrument each time before starting the song?
I was thinking about adding a "renoise-alike" mode (which does not stop sound output, but just cuts all notes when you stop the tune), but I haven't done that yet.

Harbinger

I have used alot of the DSK VSTi's, they are excellent but they're buggy, at least for MPT. They may work just fine on other hosts. The main problem i have is stopping sounds mid-play with a key press.

uncloned

that problem - continuing to sound after stopping, is so common that Sonar has a "panic button" to force midi devices to stop.