ok, so, is modplugtracker good for old-skool rave/hardcore?

Started by totally_mental, January 26, 2009, 22:36:50

Previous topic - Next topic

totally_mental

im new to this tracker, got a few questions really

1st one  being the title!! i've got a load of breakbeats and those old rave techno noise stabs, so i was just wondering if modplug can help me make a rave album?

2nd question is, after playing with it, how do you make the sound stop? you punch a note in and it will carry on, is there a special key i press for a note off / sound off? thank you very much guys!!!!!
sorted.

psishock

1st: welcome to the forums matey. ^^

2st: But of course, you can do *every* type of music with the openMPT! I'm looking forward to hear some nice rave/techno/breakbeat stuff from you.

3rd: you have two options for this:
- note off (looks like this ==), which will finish the sustain loop (if there is any), the note will carry on till the sample reaches it's end, then it will stop.
- note cut (looks like this ^ ^), which will cut instantly the note, nothing will carry on, everything will stop at that moment.

i can't remember the default shortcut keys for these commands, but you can find the keyboard setup in the options menu, look for "pattern editor - note col" --> note cut and note off
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

1 is for sure not a default key for "note cut". It's rather the key left to 1.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"1 is for sure not a default key for "note cut". It's rather the key left to 1.

Yes, the `key. But the 1 is for note-off.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

my 2 cents:

since breakbeat and uk hardcore mostly have quite simple melody structures,
OMPT is pretty much usable for those styles. just make sure to include some snare crescendos,
a cheesy saw-synth and an organ ;)

having 2 different breakbeats playing at the same time will come in handy as well.
also compose your melody with a lot of halftones.

grx
e
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Saga Musix

Seriously, wtf LPChip. You try to state something wrong twice and don't even try it yourself? If you press 1, it will set the note to octave 1. I can't see what keys the default.mkb is supposed to use on an american keyboard (it displays ö and + on my setup), but it surely is not the 1 key, because it's used for setting the octave.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

totally_mental

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"Seriously, wtf LPChip. You try to state something wrong twice and don't even try it yourself? If you press 1, it will set the note to octave 1. I can't see what keys the default.mkb is supposed to use on an american keyboard (it displays ö and + on my setup), but it surely is not the 1 key, because it's used for setting the octave.

oh the default.mkb X) I missed that part :)

Harbinger

As to the original post, totally, welcome to the forum, and yes, if i can compose intensely orchestrated classical pieces, you can assemble just about anything having to do with electronic music. I have composed everything from rock to trance to electronic  to classical orchestral music. Psishock specializes in electronic dance music, LPChip creates chiptunes, and Sam_Zen specializes in electronic experimental. I don't think you'll have too many problems 8)

There's not a steep learning curve with MPT, but there are so many features that it's tough to figure out what you need to use to get exactly what you need in your composition. It helps to know where to turn for directions. Hopefully you found the wiki pages, plus there's always the forums, so you always have somewhere to go for help. Just remember, English is not the first language for some of us in this forum (something I have to remember, too :) ) so don't automatically assume something is negative or sarcastic. We try to use plenty of emoticons to help convey meaning (except for Jojo, he thinks they're aliens!). :wink:  8)

For breakbeat, if  i understand correctly, you take rhythm loops and chop them up, so to speak, to mangle the rhythm a little. You'll be interested in the Offset effects for that, which plays a sample at various points of the waveform. Otherwise look carefully in the wiki help for other note FX and channel FX especially suited for that genre.

maleek

I just wanted to join in with the welcoming!

A common thing among breakbeat artists are to split up their breakbeats  and rearranging them thus creating variations in the tracker. All this is perfectly possible in MPT.

Sam_Zen

Yep, welcome..!
And do mind that if you take a note of the rhythm loop an octave higher, the loop will also be twice as fast, so exact half the duration.
And Maleek, could I say welcome back ?

tvdude

Heya guys and girls.  Maybe I misread, but it seems no has mentioned that if you pick an instrument, and drag it into the black space of the instrument tab, the note by default is permanently on.  There is a button 9th from the left, 4th from the right on the top of the black section that will turn this off.  Your note will play through and not sustain.  Sorry if I missed this in earlier posts.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

maleek

Yes you could Sam Zen. Thanks! :)

I have actually tried to use FL Studio and Orion, but I always seem to get back to Modplug Tracker. At the end of the day it is simply the fastest way for me to realize my musical ideas.

Harbinger

For fear of hijacking the thread, i have also tried other trackers, most recently sVartracker and reViSiT. Both have lots of features, but they lack one of the most basic: configurable keys. It's hard enough learning a new tracker, and i hafta re-learn keys? No thanks. I know MPT inside and out (actually i STILL don't know everything about it) and can do anything i want. Yes, it's imperfect and it's difficult from what i understand to tweak the code to better suit our needs, but it's tried and true, plenty of features, and pretty decent "customizability". When the others get configurable keys AND use VSTi's AND can use different tunings AND can read and use many different tracking formats, then i'll give 'em another look. Like you, i keep coming back to MPT.... :wink: