[Ambient/Drone] Spheres (MP3)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, January 27, 2009, 11:26:22

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Composing an ambient track is a very soothing experience for me. There's complexity, experimentation, and simplicity, and I find that my mood is sharpened, made clearer, in the writing.

This is how I'm feeling.

Download

Sam_Zen

Nicely kept inside the simplicity of just a small couple of sounds. Very consistent. Keep on soothing.

Nahkranoth

As always, Barry, you are too melodic to be experimental. You were spoiled with musical education (I'm sure you have one) :D
But it's an experiment mainly for YOU, if you never wrote this kind of music.

Definitely another keeper from barryvan. Gotta learn myself on other's experiments :oops:

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

KrazyKatz

This is beautiful. But I can't help picturing it with a sad scene :'(.

Like a child fearful of falling asleep. Alone, as the whole world doesn't realize that such a small thing is such a big thing to the youth.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

bvanoudtshoorn

Thanks for the comments and feedback, everyone.

@Nahkranoth: You're right, I am quite melodic in my experiments. :)

@KrazyKatz: I'm very interested to hear you say that, and I'm curious as to why you would particularly think of sleeping. Is it perhaps because of the bell-like sounds and the fact that the first melodic line is in 3/4?

As always, it's fantastic to get lots of different perspectives on things, and I really appreciate you guys listening and commenting. :)

uncloned

Barry, I've listened several times over the past two days and I'm afraid it simply does not gel for me. My impression is that there should be more - either in notes or texture. It seems to hang in this place were its not quite enough to be a song but yet not quite enough texture to be ambient. I think I'm in the minority here. My suggestion would be a soft synth to substitute for the strings or a sreve reich approach or phillip glass approach. But then here I'm trying to suggest writing your piece to my taste and that's not right.

Sam_Zen

Not right ? Why not ? You describe how you would have written it your way, that's all, I guess.

psishock

it's interesting but somehow i am with uncloned on this one. I was waiting for strings or some pads and additional layers to rush in and "start" warmly the song, but that didn't happened. Still, i love the minimal/darker design, it is a stand alone song indeed, but this piece have the potential to be much more than now.
Nice one Barry, enjoyed it very much.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

KrazyKatz

I'd say the piece is as it is, and that is how it should be :).

Regarding your interest on my comment, I'd say The bell tone timbre would most likely evoke the sense of youth and slumber, and the harmonic structure evokes the dark longing.

Cheers.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com