A newbie question..

Started by Fons, January 15, 2006, 19:26:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Fons

Hi all.

I just got to download MODplug tracker. after I played with it a little i managed to pick some samples and create something in the pattern window.

However, when i played the track, it changed all of the instruments i used.

For example : i created one column with piano. second channel with drums. and last column with bass.

but when i played it, it changed all to sound only to Bass.. i exported the file and only the bass was there. i tried to look at the manual and play with the UI but i really dont know what to do..

sorry for the silly question and thank for your help!

LPChip

You don't have to be ashamed about your question, cus this is something that doesn't suppose to happen.

If you enter notes in your channel, do you write them as this:

C-4 ..

or with number:

C-4 01

?

If you do the first one, then its obvious, because without an instrument number, it uses the last used sound which is the bass in your case.

If you do use the C-4 01, do you see this number changed on playback too?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Fons

hi Admin thank you for the quick answer..

im not sure i understood your question, becasue when i write the notes i only click the keyboard  :?:  i tried now to put 2 instruments together and changed the number on the side to 01 and 02 but it still didnt help.

here is my way of work after i open the tracker :
1.file-new
2.samples-load samples-picking *.wav file
3.going into patterns column
4.inserting the notes(with keyboard) for every instrument in seperate columns.
5.hit 'play'

im not sure im doing the right thing at all  :?  ?

LPChip

On the pattern tab, above the pattern grid, you see:

Main Instrument. Set it to a sample/instrument prior to putting in notes. Does that help?

It should automatically write instrument/sample numbers next to the sound.

Bytheway, what version of the tracker are you using? 1.16, RC1, RC2, or a beta build?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Fons"im not sure i understood your question...
If you mean the question,
Quote from: "LPChip"If you do use the C-4 01, do you see this number changed on playback too?
I didn't get it either  :)

But maybe this picture will help? If you have loaded the samples correctly, then this kind of setting should play all the different sounds.

LPChip

What I ment with the question is as follows:

If you enter the following in your pattern screen:

C-4 01

and you playback, does the cursor changes the C-4 01 to C-4 03?

Fons

hey everyone.

I think i got it  :D

instead of just clicking "open sample" prioe do that i clicked "New Sample" and then loaded the sound. that did the trick and i was able to use it the right way.

Thank you so much for the help!  :)

Matt Hartman

Quote from: "Fons"hey everyone.

I think i got it  :D

instead of just clicking "open sample" prioe do that i clicked "New Sample" and then loaded the sound. that did the trick and i was able to use it the right way.

Thank you so much for the help!  :)

In the future, it may be a quicker solution to upload your song, (providing that it is a reasonable file size, add please make note of the file size when posting it) so that other members can load your song into their trackers and see whats going on...

Just a thought.

Also, you are now plugged in to the wonderful world of Mod, welcome.

May your days be filled with the fruits of technology. However, don't forget to get your daily regimen of sun.  :wink:
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

speed-goddamn-focus

Here's a TOP TRACKING TIP for you: You can play samples and instruments in the treeview to preview them and then load them by simply dragging them to the sample or instruments window.

Fonzy

QuoteIn the future, it may be a quicker solution to upload your songIn the future, it may be a quicker solution to upload your song

Yes, ofcourse, I wil, only it was just a short sample and a basic technical musunderstooding by me.
btw when i do that which format should i use?

Also, you are now plugged in to the wonderful world of Mod, welcome.

May your days be filled with the fruits of technology. However, don't forget to get your daily regimen of sun.

:D  thank you, looking forward for it.(and with a permanent nick)

QuoteHere's a TOP TRACKING TIP for you: You can play samples and instruments in the treeview to preview them and then load them by simply dragging them to the sample or instruments window

Thanks for the tip. what is the treeview?

Fons

Squirrel Havoc

The tree view is the window thats on the top-left of the modplug screen. It has "trees" of information that you can access, like samples and sections of the song and all that fun stuff

EDIT: Oh yeah, and welcome. *evil voice* You are now one of us! :)
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Matt Hartman

Fonzy, ayyyeeeeeee.

Without a huge explanation of why, take my word for it, you want to work in .it format.

There will be a lot of debate about this, but those countering reasons will most likely be retarded reasons at best.  :lol:

And though you may not understand why now, you eventually will. It is then you'll be happy and send me a nice consultant's check.  :arrow: right?
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.