[Primal Electronica] Apoxy (ogg)

Started by Sam_Zen, January 22, 2009, 21:57:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Soundtrack as for a short movie, inspired by 'Apocalypse Now' by Stanley Kubrick.
Made as a collage with synth sounds, tracker sequences, and computer modulation of sounds (cep)

Apoxy - 8:02

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Apoxy
Provocative and unnerving, seemingly experimental, but if you've heard Sam_Zen's work before, you know how he splatters (very carefully i might add) his sounds like paint thrown against a broad canvas. Then somewhere else nearby is a fog of humming timbres as if he means to be anti-melodic. And just when you've gotten used to the VU level, he pops your ears to stun you, preparing you for the next soul-morphing. This is definitely not for the background, unless you're an aurally desensitized dung beetle! :)

My only criticism: a minute or two too long. But this coming from someone who was raised on 4-minute long pop songs....:wink:

Nahkranoth

Can't say better then Harbinger anyway :D
I disagree only with the statement that it is too long. I actually could listen to this track even if it was 2 times longer, and that's true!
Most of all I liked that part with train- or some mechanism-like sounds. It is sooo sinister!

uncloned

Sam, Sam, what have you done???

This is art - - it breathes on its own - wonderful!

The details are great

It may be the piece of yours I like the most. (so far)  It is so imaginative and the sounds of so many things. I love the twisted electrical/metal sounds. And the scream at the end. Wow...

You could teach a class on sound engineering with this one. I don't even have a guess how you did most of the sounds....

This is so intense.

I'm posting a link to this thread on So On - the guys have got to hear this.

bvanoudtshoorn

I want to say something insightful about this track, but to be honest, all that I can think to say is 'wow'. I was sceptical at first, but by the end, I was really enjoying it, if 'enjoying' is the right word. :) Nice work, S_Z.

Sam_Zen

Well, I really don't know how to deal with so many compliments. Nice remark about painting, Harbinger.

Louigi Verona

Curious.

I wonder if this should be regarded as a musical composition. By that I mean that when you have a visual collage, it is united by a piece of paper or whatever it is put on. In case of sound recordings such as these they are basically many different parts which theoretically can be mixed together or taken out.

I would say that a music composition would be when it is integral and/or when the order of these parts is important. and collage is when it consists of independent parts.

Sam_Zen

I pretend to have made a composition, but not a musical one. At least no musical rules are involved.
The order of the parts is composed. So nothing can be taken out. It's not a collage, because they're not independent all the time. Sometimes special transitions are composed too.

Louigi Verona

I see. However, to me as an independent listener it isn't obvious why the parts cannot be taken out. There is no audible connection. Without knowing what you thought it is impossible to tell.

psishock

omg Sam, awesome sound design! I've absolutely loved it, the stereo effects and the hyper fast lfo made the show. It sounds very much "musical" to me, i'm understanding the importance of the "parts" in the songs, and why can't (or shouldn't) they be separated.
i'm curious, was that a saw, square or custom made lfo? (my bet is square)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

2 Louigi
As an independent listener you can tell, knowing what you thought when confronted with a lack of audible connection. The brain will try to create an idea of connection anyway.
Like two scenes in a movie without any visual connection.
2 psishock
Some time indicator of when that lfo ?
2 Nahkranoth
Thanks. It was meant to be some sinister train indeed..

psishock

sure, 1:23+ example or 4:22+
Now, it sounds like the sounds is cutting off then reappearing very fast, that is the idea of the fast square lfo (at least i would make it that way)
Then again, maybe you were using fast, controlled re-triggering or similar technique (something like our Oxx effect), i know that the wanted effect can be made in more different way.

Sam_Zen

I see. Well, I can't remember exactly how I made those cracking sounds. No lfo for sure.
It is one of the few things of this piece made with the computer.  Some off-default use of some effect, causing spontaneous oscillations.

psishock

i c. :D
any memories about what was the name of the involved vst effect?

Sam_Zen

It was not a vst, but an effect of Cool. Name somewhere in the category chorus, flanging, etc.