1.17.02.48(?) OpenMPT not producing sound.

Started by Tocs1001, January 13, 2009, 23:00:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Tocs1001

I just downloaded OpenMPT to convert some Mid's to .it, I also need to edit them a little, but when I hit play I hear no sound, I've tried every sound device. What am I doing wrong?

PS. Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask in but there was no "Help" sort of forum

Rakib

You need to install/add a sound bank/midi library. But this is usually shipped with direct x so it's strange it doesn't produce any sound.

Alternative it may be that you are using an incorrect sound device, try using different devices modplug find.

And the last thing that pops in my mind is you manually assign samples to each of the instruments the midi's have. Read the tutorial on how it is done.
^^

Tocs1001

Ah, my Midi Library is unmapped, perhaps it doesnt know where DirectX's midi library is? Because I'm on a x64 XP system. I mapped a beeping sound to it lol, works pretty good then! Just wish it sounded like it should.

LPChip

By default the banks are not loaded in. You need to manually load/add a soundbank. Then you can import a midi file to get the sounds in.

Do note that OpenMPT wasn't designed to do this, so it might not get you the desired effect.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

GM.DLS is always loaded if it could be found in the system, so this is not really true, LPChip. Midi Import + Midi Library should work without any additional work.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

It never was enabled at my end by default, even when that file is in the system directory.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

That's really strange, because it should be possible to load midi instruments and midi files by default, without doing anything.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Same here, it was loaded automatically.
^^

psishock

I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

LPChip

I tell you something weird.

I have once added the gm.dls file and it indeed shows in my treeview. I can even play sounds from there.

But when I import a midi file, it doesn't copy the samples. Maybe we're having a bug here?

Relabsoluness

Moved to bug reports.

Quote from: "LPChip"But when I import a midi file, it doesn't copy the samples. Maybe we're having a bug here?
Does the "Midi Library" in treeview have all instruments mapped correctly?

Edit: Check the ini-file, block "[Midi Library]". For some reason it's doesn't always seem to save those paths as absolute paths, so for example moving the program from a drive to another may cause the MIDI import fail to map instruments (confirmed with a test case).

LPChip

I'll check it out when I get home. For the record, I'm using .52.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Edit: Check the ini-file, block "[Midi Library]". For some reason it's doesn't always seem to save those paths as absolute paths, so for example moving the program from a drive to another may cause the MIDI import fail to map instruments (confirmed with a test case).
Didn't either rewbs or you implement this behaviour on request (using relative paths if file is on the same drive)?

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"Didn't either rewbs or you implement this behaviour on request (using relative paths if file is on the same drive)?
'No' would be my best guess at the moment.

Saga Musix

Okay, it's possible that I mix something up here. It could also be that I remember this from XMPlay, where someone also had some problems with SoundFont paths.