Windows 7!

Started by Really Weird Person, January 11, 2009, 22:05:44

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

do you have kontakt working on ubuntu?

and yes... weird that all the uber smart M$ engineers copy Apple...

bvanoudtshoorn

No, no I don't. :) I'm running XP for Kontakt.

Really Weird Person

It sounds like there is potential that you do not care so much for Windows Anything, let alone Windows 7. I suppose that your next next argument would be something to the effect of that Flip 3D is Exposé in Windows' clothing (I suppose that would probably be the entire Aero interface actually, not just Flip 3D) (though good luck hovering over anything open in Mac OS and seeing a nice thumbnail of it, which can then be hovered over to show the window itself) (in Windows 7 anyway). Do note this though. Good luck getting mptrack.exe to run under Mac OS (including Leopard). Like I said before, those cats get you every time (or whatever it was). I suppose that if they used dogs though, it would probably not be much different. In fact, that may hurt them because Mac OS wolf (the type is up to you), and Mac OS bulldog would probably either result in a winner quantity of ° :lol: or one of them winning (the winner is up to you).

bvanoudtshoorn

RWP, I actually don't dislike Windows, per se. Just because I can criticise the system doesn't mean that I entirely dislike it. At work, I run Ubuntu with both XP and Vista in virtual machines. At home, I have an XP/Ubuntu dual boot.

I think that most people would agree with me that a lot of the Vista and 7 visual effects are somewhat over-the-top; some are useful, though. As a developer, I can appreciate the Windows platform. As a user, I can appreciate the Windows platform. That doesn't mean that I have to love every single aspect of the system.

LPChip

Does it work nice to boot Ubuntu and then XP using a Virtual Machine? How is the performance? Well enough to run say... Modplug in it?

And do you need to have sound working in ubuntu to also get it to work in xp?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

Yes, you need sound in Ubuntu for sound in XP. :)

The performance isn't too bad, tbh. Re: sound, you're gonna gain a bit of latency, 'cos you won't be able to ASIO out directly, afaik. Bear in mind also that the VM will take a power hit -- I'm running on a pretty hefty machine here at work (4GB RAM, Intel 2.4GHz Quad) and the VM I'm running has 768MB RAM, 128MB video, and a 10GB differencing hard drive. TBH, I wouldn't want to do any serious audio work on this -- running stuff natively is still much better.

For doing simpler stuff, though, where you're maybe just using OpenMPT's sample playback and a couple of light effects/instruments, it'd be pretty sweet. :) Too bad I'm in love with Kontakt.

LPChip

I'm thinking of using QEMU, which is working with nearly no delay at all. It would run the OS in realtime until you switch back. The only problem is that I still don't get my X-Fi to be working under any linux version. :(
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs