Windows 7!

Started by Really Weird Person, January 11, 2009, 22:05:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

This post is coming from Windows 7 (beta) x64! The Windows 7 beta can be downloaded here! Please do be aware that if you use On-Screen Keyboard at all, you may not care for it as much because it now lacks a num pad! Also note that if you have a tablet PC, your touch function may not work. Mine doesn't

psishock

yea, we had some leaked beta around 28.december, but i think i'll wait for some reviews,drivers, stability/speed tests before trying it out.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Rakib

It's great, I have had it for several weeks now. Haven't used it so much though since I prefer my old setup. I'll report later and let you guys know how it works with modplug tracker.
^^

Really Weird Person

Answered! It works just fine! Modplug Tracker even supports Aero Snaps, which would be extremely helpful for combining things!

Sam_Zen

I'll pass, thank you.

anboi

i really hope this handles both modplug and all the plugins i use - i can see myself using XP for the rest of my life at this rate...
i tried vista for about a week but constant crashes made me give up, c'mon microsoft, you can make a good OS again!

Rakib

C'mon, don't diss microsoft. I use windows server 2008 and it is extremly stabile and very nice to use.
^^

Saga Musix

at some point, you'll go over to Linux + WINE to run modplug... :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

I have ubuntu on my computer and in my university we use both windows and redhat linux. So it's just a matter of taste.
^^

Really Weird Person

Or he may find himself going back to Vista so that he can turn right around and install the Windows 7 beta! :lol:

Waxhead

Just for info - the latest Wine (www.winehq.org) runs modplug and other windows software quite well these days. There are a lot of operating systems that are better than windows. Well supported operating systems are Debian GNU/Linux, FreeBSD and a lot of other distros!

Well I have to admit that I am using XP for my primary machine as well but I see myself migrating more and more of my computers to Linux (debian).

Sure one can argue that open source OS will never be as supported as Windows but ask yourself. Do you like it?! ... I sure don't and the only way to make that change is to use the OS you want support for. As for Linux there is ALWAYS a solution to your problem if you stick with one of the more popular distros ( I would recommend Debian or even Ubuntu).

Sure I'm pretty sure I will try out Win7 but I'm not sure I will use it. I'm pretty sure I will stick with XP or swap to Linux ;)

Really Weird Person

I seem to have gotten pen input to work again, but I still have not gotten finger input to work.

uncloned

I like windows 7 - it runs as good as XP on my machine with aero turned on. It has taken everything I've thrown at it without any more problem then Vista and actually less problems over all. ASIO4ALL solved the sound problem. The rest is nice. I do miss the taskbar button to stack windows.

I also like ubuntu

but the studio version, which you need to get a decently configured sound configuration is really lacking .... for one apparently wireless will not work, I am required to use a really poor (compared to standard ubuntu) user interface. And even though I'm using a real time kernel rosegarden complains I am not....

to do regular work ubuntu shines => studio is an exercise in frustration.

Compiz still outclasses aero by light years.

Really Weird Person

I had an interesting thing happen. I plugged in a USB keyboard, but when I went to use my computer this morning, it was locked up. I tried to restart it [via turning it off and back on] 2 or 3 times, but Windows would not start. Once I unplugged the keyboard though, Windows started just fine. I do not recall the keyboard causing that before though. It was just weird. As for the taskbar, you can try using the Never Combine option. I kind of like it because it does not look so much like a taskbar, but rather a gigantic Quick Launch bar. I used the Quick Launch bar quite a bit, so I think that it is actually rather nice. I also like how, when you can open things that are not already on your taskbar (the Task Manager for example), you can pin it there with a couple of clicks (and then move it as needed)! I have my items alphabetized because I find that that makes it easier to find them. Something that I have not tried is Virtual PC. Has anyone tried running Virtual PC on Windows 7? I thought that Linux's interface was called Beryl. As for it outclassing Aero, that may be true. You do have to keep in mind, however, that that type of interface has been in Linux since the beginning (look at Knoppix), but Aero was just introduced in Vista. Perhaps Microsoft will catch up to where Linux is now by Windows, say, 16? I am not sure.

bvanoudtshoorn

Having had a look at Win7, my immediate reaction is 'Oh my goodness, that's the most hideous system I've ever seen in my life'. It's uglier than Vista, which is uglier than XP. Not only is it ugly, IMO, but it's also gaudy -- why do there need to be weird glowing effects on the taskbar buttons as the mouse moves over them? That's just a waste of processing power.

Besides which, the new taskbar thing is very much a rip of the OS-X dock, only not as well-implemented, imo.

In case you couldn't tell, I do not like Windows 7. :)