smooth volume sliding

Started by shableep, January 09, 2006, 21:51:06

Previous topic - Next topic

shableep

hey, is it possible to have a smooth volume transition between 2 volumes?

for example,

v00
v03
v07
v11

you can hear the clicks between the exact volume levels. i understand that there are crescendo and decresendo functions, but they are a tons harder to deal with than interpolating volumes (hard to keep track of the volumes). any other effect or technique i'm missing?

n' if not, is it possible maybe to have smooth volume sliding between volumes as an option feature in the future?

LPChip

Im not sure what you want to accomplish, but volume sliding is an effect.

Eg.

C-4 01 v00 D10
--- ..  .. D00
--- ..  .. D00
--- ..  .. D00
--- ..  .. D00
--- ..  .. D00
--- ..  .. D00

This example will make a sound slide up in volume smoothly.

D1F will do slowly where D01 will slide down and DF1 will do a fine slide down.

(This is the IT code. XM is A00 I believe)

For VST's, use param slide on the wet/dry slider.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Snu

ah, lp beat me to it,
but there is also cXX and dXX in the volume column that can slide as well

shableep

oh, yah. i know. i was trying to explain that i've already looked over all the effects. it's just hard to tell what the dynamic level a volume slide is at.

like lets say i want to go from v00 to about 2/3 max volume.

ModPlug Tracker  IT
|D#477v00... |D#477v00...
|.....v11...      |........D20
|.....v22...      |........D..
|.....v34...      |........D..
|.....v45...      |........D..
|.....v41...      |........DF4
|.....v36...      |........D..
|.....v32...      |........D..
|.....v28...      |........D..
|.....v23...      |........D..
|.....v19...      |........D..
|.....v14...      |........D..
|.....v10...      |........DF1
|.....v09...      |........D..
|.....v08...      |........D..
|.....v08...      |........D..
|.....v07...      |........D..
|.....v06...      |........D..
|.....v05...      |........D..
|.....v04...      |........D..
|.....v03...      |........D..
|.....v03...      |........D..
|.....v02...      |........D..
|.....v01...      |........D..
|.....v00...      |........D..

i need the note to fade to 0 right at row 24.

it's hard to know, with D00, if it has faded exactly at 0 unless you listen really close. also, for me to get the same tapering effect i put in with v00, i had to play with the "fine -" value to have it sound atleast similar. but i don't want to have to spend so much time figuring out something so mundane.

with the wicked new interpolating feature, i can set my dynamics extremely easy and at exactly what dynamic level i want, but with the downside of audible clicking. is there another volume setting that tapers between values?

maybe there just needs to be a new effect that does this.

by the way, you can hear what i'm talking about here in the beginning a little and when the trumpets come in later.

http://eternalelements.com/dynamics.mp3

LPChip

You can always do a combination of the two.

Eg.:

C-4 01 v00 DF3
--- .. v05 D00
--- .. v10 D00
--- .. v15 D00
--- .. v20 D00
--- .. v25 ...

With this, you can tweak the slide and if desired leave it like that.

You could also use a volume envelope with note-off to either initiate and/or break.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

shableep

if i spend that much time on dynamics, i start losing concept of the whole picture really fast. so, i was looking for a way to spend less time. that's my goal. i think what i'm looking for doesn't exist in modplug yet.

thanks for the ideas, tho.

speed-goddamn-focus

You mean you want something like /xx but for instrument volume, right?

shableep

Snu

this got me thinking... when the new file format is finaly finished, it will have multiple effect colunms... so if all the effects were a 'set value' type, and there was one special effect that when paired with any other one, it would turn it into a slide...
like, in effect column 1, you'd have set volume commands, and column two would have a /xx or something, with the xx being how quick it slides.
there are plenty of ways of doing the same thing, but somehow... this just seems 'tracker-like' to me...
what do you guys think?
any suggestions for a better way? (maybe i should post this in a new topic?)

shableep

sweet. sounds like a good new topic to me.