My humble opinion...about alternate DL sites

Started by Harbinger, December 27, 2008, 02:38:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Call me old-fashioned and obstinate, but if you direct me to a site and it contains the following problems, i won't bother:

1. There are popups that appear (in a separate window) before you've done anything. Sometimes at least these are java scripts, which may contain viruses. I don't trust any site that puts stuff on my computer without my permission...

2. There is no clear indication of where to click to get the DL. If you direct me to another site or another page in the site, i'm not sticking around to find it.

3. If i leave the site and some of its windows are still hanging around, i will not visit that site again.

PLEASE for all who wish to share and invite praise and criticism (and yes, we at least want to give it a listen), PLEASE consider uploading to our main site and pointing to that in this forum. It's close by (as it were), safe and trusted, administered by a quite knowledgeable and helpful sitegeek (thanks, MisterX), and most of all, NO PROBLEMS (except for the occasional hurricane! :wink: )...

psishock

Sorry to hear Harbringer, if only you would use a modern browser (together with antivirus program and a firewall) almost none of these problems would bother you at all.
I haven't got trouble with any of the alternative download pages yet.
The right word for your term in the first sentence would be "lazy" perhaps. :)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Sorry, psishock, I's much too easy a header-in to score to call him  "lazy", if old-fashioned, suggesting that he's not using the 'new' stuff..
So you have anti-virus, so you don't care about getting infected ? And a firewall has normally little to do with these sites, a firewall doesn't block crap. So what would I call you then ? :) the easy-go-one ? Come on, sh*t in the palm of my hands, I take anything for granted, as long as it's free ?
I hate things like Zippyshare, where you have 7 secs to clean up the mess. Or where I have to reg to DL a track.
so Harbinger has a solid request imo.

uncloned

Harbinger has a point about TiS

The only knock against modplug is it would be nice to get some sort of notification when your piece because ready to DL

Saga Musix

May I recommend you using Firefox, together with AdBlock and NoScript. That way, all ads on websites are filtered out (depending on the quality of the list you subscribed to, but the standard lists are very good) and JavaScript is only allowed on a website if you want it. I have not seen any aggressive internet ads since years, just because I use AdBlock.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Yes, there are ways to counteract the popups and so, but I generally agree with Harbinger here. If someone doesn't have a good place to upload his/her music, I generally have the feeling the music isn't that good either. And I wouldn't bother trying out either.

Alot of people use mediafire and such sharing sites. If you want to download something, you must wait, enter a code, have a slow download, and stuff like that. I really am not going to spend my precious time being occupied with that, even while I don't have that much problems with popups.

Getting filehosting isn't that expensive anymore, so people that don't want to spend any money at all, are IMHO more lazy. There's proper websitehosting for 1$ a month now. More than enough to host your music on.

In fact, there are plenty free ones too that offer this: http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-hosts.php

The only catch is usually that you also have to make a webpage that links to the files, because they don't want you to use their services for filedistribution only.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

You can often get a small amount of free webspace (something like 50mb) with no real restrictions from your ISP. I dunno, but I haven't come accros the "no hotlinking" stuff that much on german free hosts (not that I was using one... :P), this seems to be more common on international hosts.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Yes, uncloned, the only downside to uploading to our site is the delay. MisterX is usually pretty good about keeping an eye out for new uploads (i guess he's checking for the proper format before posting), and he's never adverse to a reminder that you uploaded.

But i'm only willing to put up with the delay because he keeps everything nice and neat, error-free, close-by, and we even have the option of assigning a license to our uploads. A handy "your upload is posted" email would be nice too, but considering all things, it's not too bad...

uncloned

is there a way to view the queue and see if Kim has passed the file?

and I agree modplug is great = offering this hosting service is very  nice for the community.

Harbinger

Not sure what you mean by "view the queue" but if you mean see if your upload is ready, i generally just go to the download section into the proper page to see if my .mp3 was posted recently. If it's been a few days since i uploaded, i send a reminder PM to MisterX.

psishock

Alright, did some research, how is http://www.hotlinkfiles.com sounds?
It supports multiple fileuploading, renaming, deleting, usage statistics reports, accurate and detailed upload bars, maximum filesize 50mb/file, 1gb storage space, 8gb monthly brandwith and the best of all direct link downloads so the downloader don't have to go through the whole process of advising banners, countdown, popupwindows and other inconvenient stuff. :D
Did i said it's free? (can get additional space, brandwith and stuff for a little amount of monthly price)

Saga Musix

i'd say it's time to get some _real_ webspace (which can be free as well) instead of file uploading services. I've never relied on those and been using a webspace instead. You seem to be very excited about features like renaming, deleting, etc... - You can all get that with a simple FTP webspace.

Or just set up Apache or FileZilla on your local pc, get a dyndns address and let the people download your music from your local pc. :P

psishock

Quote from: "Jojo"i'd say it's time to get some _real_ webspace (which can be free as well) instead of file uploading services
This uploading service seems to save you from most of the trouble while uploading and managing your files, have the most of the stuff that i need at this moment about filesharing (most of the time i just want simple and efficient filesharing, nuttin more), but i understand that FTP can offer some additional features as well. I'm open to that 2. Ok, have some defined idea for example?

uncloned

google offers free webspace with each email address getting not only 350 megs I think it is but multiple subdomain websites of 350 megs a piece

http://chrisuncloned.googlepages.com/
is my evaluation page, not all links work.

the price can't be beat - and you can "hotlink"

google owns a huge chunk of the internet, might as well take advantage of it.

the only downside is a 10 (or 15 or 20) meg filesize limit and you have to use their interface but its not too bad.

Rakib

It's a shame they are closing then.

QuoteGoogle Page Creator is no longer accepting new sign-ups.
[/code]
^^