[Trance] Stick 'Em Up Bucky (mp3) My first

Started by EarthBound015, December 22, 2008, 22:24:26

Previous topic - Next topic

EarthBound015

Alright, well, this is my first MPT Song and I am here to share it with you guys!  My wife suggested I named it after her favorite game as it reminds her of it, so, I've named it Stick 'Em Up Bucky after Bucky O'Hare.  I went for the Trance kind of sound, I think I did a pretty good job doing so, but your opinions are what matter!  Tell me what you think and what I need to do to improve!  

Stick 'Em Up Bucky

bvanoudtshoorn

Welcome, EarthBound015! :)

This track isn't too bad, but it does need a little bit of improvement, in my opinion. Just a couple of notes:

1. You need better quality samples, unless you particularly wanted the 'chip' sound. I just don't link trance and chip together much... :) There are loads of places you can get really high quality samples and plugins for free -- just check out some of the stickied threads around the place.
2. Everything's panned to the centre. Give instruments their own position in the panorama. Subtle stereo (or even ping-pong) delays can also help to 'widen' the sound out.
3. You need more bass! A lot of the time, there's no bass at all -- it's just drums and melody. It's ok some of the time, but... :/

Don't be discouraged though -- this is really not that bad. I look forward to seeing what else you come up with! :)

uncloned

I particularly like your counter melody.

I agree with Barry that the samples are not particularly trance like and much more "chip" or PC / Nintendo game sounding - which is a whole venerated genre of its own.

If you listen to Psishock's pieces here (for one) you will get a more "traditional" trance example - at least for here.

Keep composing!

LPChip

So this could be more in the cathegory Chiptune then? Interesting. I'm not a trance lover, so I skipped this, but since I know you a littlebit, I was curious what others would write.

As Chiptunes is one of my favorites, I'll give this a listen when I get home. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

EarthBound015

:D Y'know, I didn't think of calling it a chip tune, especially after my wife told me it sounded like Bucky O'Hare.  

Thank you for the feedback m'friends, I will take it all to heart and come back with something better of course XD .  It would probably be a good thing is had headphones on while listening to what I am creating to get the actual feel of everything, eh?

LPChip

I guess this is more dance then trance, and it has a bit of chiptune in it, especailly the tones.

I can appreciate the melodies, but definatelly not the basedrum, but thats just a matter of me hating that kind of sound due to my disaffection to trance and dance. :P

I also miss bass to carry the piece throughout. Its there, but too soft, if its there at all.

Not bad for a first piece though!
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs