[uplifting trance]Signal Chain - Drifting 1.1 WIP (.mp3) upd

Started by psishock, December 21, 2008, 22:44:02

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

sure sure, just talk out the stuffs, what i really care is the information, and we did talked about many valuable here, i don't mind the topic itself, so go ahead, switch to technical details makes me actually happy.
I just don't have even the time to read it all at the moment, neither to comment them. :) Perhaps later, afternoon.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

Quote from: "g"Much more pleasant to listen to in stereo than something like Lucy in the sky with diamonds (which is an AWESOME song... in mono!).

I wonder if the difference is listening with headphones as opposed to speakers. Headphones will of course be much more opinionated.

One the the things I remember fondly was Black Sabbath's album Paranoid in Quadraphonic - each player had a speaker (in essence) and it worked wonderfully. Shame I never owned a real quad stereo - cost more than I could afford then. The surround sound stereos now-a-days are just not the same.

Thanks for the go ahead Psy!!

g

Quote from: "uncloned"I wonder if the difference is listening with headphones as opposed to speakers. Headphones will of course be much more opinionated.
Well yes, headphones make it even worse :) Other than that I suppose it's a matter of taste, so if anyone feels like making me nauseated with their music please go ahead; pan bass to the far right and drums to the far right and put John Lennon in the middle. :P

Quote from: "uncloned"One the the things I remember fondly was Black Sabbath's album Paranoid in Quadraphonic - each player had a speaker (in essence) and it worked wonderfully.
It's available on DVDA, but apparently it's a really poor transfer...

Quote from: "uncloned"Thanks for the go ahead Psy!!
+1

Saga Musix

The "problem" is that you always have some kind of reverb when listening to live music, however this does not exist if you first record e.g. a bass line in mono and then put it on the hard left channel. It's not the same.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

I think good spatial engineering can place emphasis and aid in clarity of the mix.

Somewhere in the late 60's early 70's it became routine to

1. do drums in stereo (almost never happened with the Beatles)
2. put the bass in the same space as the bass drum - usually dead center.
3. vocals were usually dead center as well.

----------

However, now the typical is putting everything in the center with "stereo" effects. It is effectively a "wide monaural" or perhaps better said as "wide bi-aural" system.

---------------

One thing I should mention - much of the early Beatles was not meant to be in stereo. George Martin sent the masters to the states and Capital remixed them into stereo. Considering George was working with a 4 track recorder mastering to monaural makes some sense. But.... Sgt Peppers did not have this 4-track limitation - the stereo image was on purpose.

g

Quote from: "uncloned"I think good spatial engineering can place emphasis and aid in clarity of the mix.
I agree with that 100%! "Bad" spatial engineering can also completely ruin a mix.

New stereo (and mono) remasters of all Beatles albums will be released on CD in just two weeks... Perhaps they'll be better, tho I doubt it if they haven't been remixed. Of course they still charge full price (or 240€ for a 16 CD + 1 DVD box).

Sam_Zen

Thanks, Psi ..

2 Clones
A quadrophonic Paranoid.. Interesting.. Is this a such a quad LP needing a special quad pickup-element ?
There were special systems then, by Sony and e.g. Panasonic, to decode the four channels.
By the way, a distinct quad system isn't that expensive. Just one more stereo-amp and two speakers..

Quote from: "g"... high freqs keep their original source position longer, due to physical law...
I don't quite understand "keep their original source position"?
Good question. High frequencies from a certain distance are less diffused, scattered, by the air particles,
so get more straight to your ear, so you can spot the bird on a tree up there quite exactly.
Low freqs are more depending on distance to still get the right direction, because they will be diffused sooner ('floating') in the air.

And Jojo is right. In a live performance a sound will never be strictly mono, due to acoustics.
A headphone listening of the track maybe, but I don't like headphones as a reference.
Things should be played with speakers in a room, so there you'll have the specific reverbs again.

Quote from: "Clones"..putting everything in the center with "stereo" effects. It is effectively a "wide monaural" ...
Technically it's not possible to make a 'wide' stereo out of a mono signal.
There has to be some difference first between L and R. By filtering or phase shifting or whatever.
Any difference can be amplified, but 2 times zero is the same as 8 times zero.

g

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
Good question. High frequencies from a certain distance are less diffused, scattered, by the air particles,
so get more straight to your ear, so you can spot the bird on a tree up there quite exactly.
Low freqs are more depending on distance to still get the right direction, because they will be diffused sooner ('floating') in the air.
Interesting theory.

uncloned

My search revealed the quad release was vinyl 1974.  I didn't own it. Only heard it once.

psishock

Zaphoid:
nice work on mixing, it was a good practice session im sure of it, and i can see that we have nice trance producers on other forums as well.

Uncloned, G, Sam, Jojo:
Valuable input, good stuff to brain about. As for me, i'm using stereo somewhat naturally, if it feels alright and not "unnaturally" panned on either direction it should be ok. If everything is on the center, with lot of mono layers, the output could get muddy indeed, it depends mostly how close are the layered frequencies together. If you have a low bass, some middle ranged melodies and some hihats, they are usually not "breaking" each other. If the signal is stereo, even more of them panned on dead "center", we could get a clear output, depends of course, how is the stereo structure of the sound designed. You can see these stereo samples as "pre panned" ones, ready to be layered, usually without further assistance.

psishock

Drifting 1.1 (vocal mash-up version) is finished after some longer hibernated form on my HDD. :)

1st page updated.

Sam_Zen