[uplifting trance]Signal Chain - Drifting 1.1 WIP (.mp3) upd

Started by psishock, December 21, 2008, 22:44:02

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

uncloned: i'm glad that it gave you this nice impression! ^^

Harbinger: i believe deeply in the "power of instruments" too, this is the main reason why all of my pieces are off vocals. Note the first post, there are two versions coming, with 2 different development. I cant add aggressive melody or synth lines to the vocal parts, because it will ruin it's beauty, i will leave that to the instrumental version (will possibly do different scene timing structure on it too). The reason for the vocal version, because as you know, i like to experiment with *everything* (--> learning, gathering good experience from them), and this was a nice opportunity to do it with vocal work. :)
The layers are not gone just the structure is reworked, example you can hear the drifting 1.0 strings hit on ~4:15+, the ambient intro part from 1.0 when the beats take off on ~3:21, ect ect. Actually many new layers are added too, check the percussion work and the bass. And what did you heard in this WIP are mostly only the new ideas, i haven't imported the stuffs that i liked from the old version yet, so many more can still be expected, like the FM melody, sine line and similar.

I'm sure that everything will add up in the end, to have a nice and fully enjoyable piece. Tho' there is always a chance that you will still like the old version better, :D and that's why i'm posting them as a different version (the changes are so big, you can take them as a full remixes), rather than just updating the original song.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Zaphoid

I'd like to stick this in a DJ mix I'm working on and release on my blog if that's ok?

Zaphoid

I loved this track.  Engineering needs a little work.  Low end just about blew my woofer up.  Probably wanna cut the low end out at about 35 or 40hz.  

I love that string bending melody about 1/2 way threw.  Spiritual stuff.

psishock

Quote from: "Zaphoid"I'd like to stick this in a DJ mix I'm working on and release on my blog if that's ok?
That is ok, you're free to use it in your mix, for your blog Zaphoid, happy mixing. ;)
It's still very much in WIP phase, there are stuff that needs to be fixed on it, and of course the second half to finish. I'm not sure when will that all actually happen'.

Quote from: "Zaphoid"I loved this track. Engineering needs a little work. Low end just about blew my woofer up. Probably wanna cut the low end out at about 35 or 40hz.
If low ends are bothering you, that should be easy to cut even while mixing with other songs. It may be trouble to fit these freqs for woofers, 'coz i don't have one, only monitoring speakers and headphones.

Quote from: "Zaphoid"I love that string bending melody about 1/2 way threw. Spiritual stuff.
Working hard to add that extra "soul" to the sounds, that makes people smile while listening. ^^

Zaphoid

If your planning on releasing on vinyl you might wanna think about putting your bass freq in mono or you will shake the needle right off the record.  

Yes it will be easy to cut the bass down in the mix but I thought it would be good to point out. trying to helpful.

Do you have a good pair of flat freq response headphones for mixing purposes?

Saga Musix

If your planning on releasing on vinyl you might wanna think about putting your bass freq in mono
Not only for vinyl. The human ear can't really differ where a very low freq sound comes from, so it's better to save the stereo spectrum for all instruments with higher frequencies. So it's a good idea to use a plugin like Otium Basslane to convert anything below e.g. 150 hz to mono.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Zaphoid

good suggestion man.  I didn't know about that program

psishock

Quote from: "Zaphoid"If your planning on releasing on vinyl you might wanna think about putting your bass freq in mono or you will shake the needle right off the record.
wow i didn't even brained about that, thanks for pointing that fact out. I'm not sure about vinyl release, but it's always ok to look ahead of the problems.

Quote from: "Zaphoid"Yes it will be easy to cut the bass down in the mix but I thought it would be good to point out. trying to helpful.
I know, it's always very appreciated, and i am trying my best all the time to solve the technical comments. But the very low freqs can give me trouble, maybe will rent a studio for short, and set these levels before the album release.

Quote from: "Zaphoid"Do you have a good pair of flat freq response headphones for mixing purposes?
Well i do have some nice pair of studio headphones, high frequencies are alright, i can divide them up even around 20khz, but while the low ones below 40hz are audible, not very responsive, so even + - 10db don't have much impact. I can set example the ~40-120+hz bass freqs pretty accurately. It depends however, how tired my ears are too.

Quote from: "Jojo"So it's a good idea to use a plugin like Otium Basslane to convert anything below e.g. 150 hz to mono.
That plugin sounds intresting, i'll definitely give it a try. Thanks Jojo.

Quote from: "Jojo"The human ear can't really differ where a very low freq sound comes from
That may be true, when i was a kid and my father yelled at me all from a sudden, i have almost jumped off my chair, because it seemed as the sounds were coming from everywhere. :D

Sam_Zen

QuoteThe human ear can't really differ where a very low freq sound comes from
Occasionally this has been meant in earlier threads before and I still strongly disagree with this.
It has not been proven by any physical, scientific tests, and it's not proved by the reality at home.

This misconception has been promoted by Dolby when the 5.1 construction was launched.
To sell you two miserable milkpacks as speakers for Left and Right, and a big wooden box as bassbin,
to hide somewhere behind the sofa.

Of course the human ears can make a difference whether the thunder is coming from one side or another.
But this myth is made, because things were turned around :
Because all producers mix the bass-guitar and the kick-drum in the middle of the panning,
it is then sufficient, to have one bass speaker in the middle.
(The same reverse reasoning happened with the silly addition of a 'center speaker'.
Enhancing the sounds which are normally panned in the middle too, like talking heads or singers.)

Anyway, check the starting sounds of "Jetsex" by 'Tonto's Expanding Head band' :
http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/download/eiland/ZT_02.ogg

* this is for 'educational purposes' so I don't mind. :)

psishock

Heh, you know Sam that i was only kidding with my silly example, of course you can differ any audible frequencies. If you have multiple speakers (i have quadrophonic ones), or even stereo, you can easily point out the source of the deep vibrations. If it gives problematic technical difficulties however, like Zaphoid pointed out, i don't really mind downmixing to mono the very low ones. Still, i believe, that the best solution should be keeping them balanced around the center (panned to center never means mono in my dictionary, these two are different terms), rather downmixig, because im having stereo and multiple basslines is most cases (yes, very fast and different volume changes on left and right speakers). It's true, that i am keeping them around center too in most cases, because it's more comfortable for the ear to have the driving low sounds in the middle in my opinion too, but occasionally panning them around here and there, with effects, to give interesting moments to the listener (on some transitions example). It seemed however, that a good, center balanced stereo is giving me a richer experience, rather than a downmixed mono.

Your example is a very good "proof of the concept" by the way.

here is my short example of a simple stereo saw bass sound, we have two oscillators, one is hard panned to left, other is to right, the default frequency is slightly modified on one. I went from ridiculously low to show what you "hear" in the higher regions:
http://psishock.lpchip.com/music/simplesawtest.mp3
absolutely stereo, as it's bouncing from left and right with very fast saw volume changes, but still very balanced and pleasant impression on normal bass frequencies.

TheEagle

Well, not my kind of music but I really enjoyed the vocals and the piano ending.
I may be wrong but the vocals reminds me of a song that was delivered with a demo version of Fruity Loops Studio...

However, great work psishock.

psishock

thanks for liking it TheEagle. I'm sure that the vocals can remind you a whole lot of other songs, i don't know the FL studio demo ones (to be exact, i don't remember them right, and i'm not downloading it now), but this practical one is a theme from a video game, called Mirror's Edge, singed by Lisa Miskovsky, songname Still Alive.
Here is their original one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmUde_EK5Y

and the acoustic guitar mix, that i liked much much better, it captured me on first listen :D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVcwFUVRrUg

TheEagle

Quote from: "psishock"...and the acoustic guitar mix, that i liked much much better, it captured me on first listen :D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVcwFUVRrUg
Yes, indeed. A beautiful woman with a beautiful voice...  :)

Sam_Zen

2 Psi : nice example too.
As you say, mixing not at 50% but slightly out of the middle is not mono, and works fine.
So you have quadrofonic speakers as well. Horizontal or vertical ?

psishock

They are standing vertically not lying horizontally (if that is what you mean), the bass speaker on each box is on the bottom, most nearest to the ground, the middle on middle, and the lil one for the high frequencies are in the upper area. I don't have a dedicated studio, and i don't really think, that my living/working room has a good acoustical preferences to start with, so it shouldn't matter much...
And the truth is, that i end up most of the time using them in "double stereo" mode, because i'm using stereo headphones too and releasing the stuffs also in stereo, just like buying, downloading stereo stuff (mp3/cd).