Ixx for VSTi

Started by Bubblenugget, December 10, 2008, 11:35:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubblenugget

I know I probably posted this a long time ago, but I think it would still be a great feature. I use Ixx parameters frequently with samples, but can't seem to find a good way to Tremor VSTi's.
Most concern came from the possibility for the synths to clip during the volume cut. Is there any way around this issue aside from using a VST Tremor?

LPChip

Search for a Gate VST effect and you'll have what you want.

Otherwise, programming this shouldn't be that hard. It should just apply the wet/dry ratio for the plugin with on and off time being 100% and 0%.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Bubblenugget

VST gates are ok, although hard to find at times. The best one I've used so far is TinyGate. The tough part is being stuck with set 16 steps that only amount to 8 ticks on the tracker. I tried assigning Wet/Dry macros to the Gate and just had it go off every other step. This seemed to generate even more clicks just from constantly switching the gate plugin on and off.

Think there'd be any way to put an adjustable ramp on the wet/dry parameter to avoid these clicks?

psishock

What you are looking for is a simple bpm synced tremolo VST with rate,intensity,width,attack and decay controls. You will be able to do everything that you can imagine (means in the borders of the effects of course) without clicks.
You have 8 rows and need 16 envelope changes, vice versa or some totally different setup? Just change the tremolo rate to slower or faster and you will get what you need.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Bubblenugget

I checked through KVR and couldn't find anything. I tried ndcTrem+, but without some kind of decay it still can't prevent clicks. Any suggestions?

LPChip

Did you know, that you can do smooth transitions by using \xx instead of Zxx?

You might want to try that, although I already know that you won't be satisfied with the result, but it will be a learning experience. :)

And maybe you can chain 2 gaters on a row with one having a delay on it so the first gate remaons open longer the second one cuts it earlier. (see basic of how an appregiator used to be made in the '80s XD)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

Quote from: "Bubblenugget"Any suggestions?
Your best bet is searching some more on google.
My synth has an embed tremolo effect, even i can route any other signals directly to its effect processor, so i didn't really needed any standalone one.

In the other hand, you could route a custom shaped LFO to a simple volume level control VST (which is routed to your VSTi), mess with the attack and release shapes 'till you don't hear clicks.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Bubblenugget

Quote from: "LPChip"Did you know, that you can do smooth transitions by using \xx instead of Zxx?

You might want to try that, although I already know that you won't be satisfied with the result, but it will be a learning experience. :)

And maybe you can chain 2 gaters on a row with one having a delay on it so the first gate remaons open longer the second one cuts it earlier. (see basic of how an appregiator used to be made in the '80s XD)

Haha, yeah. \xx tends to be a little too smooth for Gating. On the other hand, I suppose I could try opening the gate with Zxx and closing it with \xx. I'll give it a shot.

I guess clipping has always been an issue with Gates and Tremelos. Especially with smooth analog sounds. I mostly figured that it'd be cool to make Ixx available to both sample and synth. Clipping would just be something that would have to be dealt with by the composer.

I do appreciate the tips!

Saga Musix

I've fiddled around a lot with Tremor recently (mainly to get it working like in Impulse Tracker) and I see that extending it to VSTis is not really trivial.
Either, it has to be applied using dry/wet ratio - this affects all notes being played by the plugin. Also, this must not affect VSTs, only VSTis.
Another option would be to retrigger the old note, however this is not really what sample tremor does. I'm not really sure what to do.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

For my workaround, i just set an SFx assignment to the VST's main volume, and tremolo by alternating Z7F and Z00. But i have to make sure i set the tempo right from the outset to get a fast enough tremolo. It'll hafta do for now.

Saga Musix

Finally implemented this using note-on and note-off messages. So like arpeggio, it doesn't exactly do the same as the sample-based effect, but it's the only sane way to implement it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Cool! Nice work Saga!