Author Topic: Why does Mid 2 XM randomize the instrument channels?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline CoolDudeClem

• Active artist
Why does Mid 2 XM randomize the instrument channels?
« on: December 07, 2008, 22:41:08 »
Does that question sound confusing? Let me try to explain what I'm trying to ask.  I've made some music in Band in a Box, and I can export the song as a midi file and convert it to XM with Mid 2 XM so I can use my own samples and VST's and basically make it sound better, but when I open the XM I found it seems to have randomized the channels the instruments play on all throughout the song. For instance let's say I've done a simple song with just a bass & piano. The bass starts on channel 1 and the piano on channels 4-10. The first pattern is usually fine, but later on the bass goes onto one of the piano channels and that piano channel plays on the bass channel.  It's annoying because I have to go though the entire song and put everything where it should be. Does anybody know what's going on or how I could get around this this?
Life brings you great gifts with one hand, and stabs you in the back with the other.

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 10 x64
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 22:46:10 »
first of all, questions about MID2XM should be asked directly at un4seen.

about your problem: problems is that MIDI supports many notes on one channel at the same time, but MODs support only one note at a time (i mean, being triggered at the same time. IT files support polyphonic channels, of course). MID2XM is prolly trying to organize the used channels in a very compact way, not only because the XM format is limited to 32 notes polyphony.
ยป No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline LPChip

• Administrator
    • http://lpchip.nl
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 07:21:04 »
Indeed. The conversion causes this, not modplug reading the file. Why it exactly happens is as much as a guess to me as it is to Jojo.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs