Why does Mid 2 XM randomize the instrument channels?

Started by CoolDudeClem, December 07, 2008, 22:41:08

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolDudeClem

Does that question sound confusing? Let me try to explain what I'm trying to ask.  I've made some music in Band in a Box, and I can export the song as a midi file and convert it to XM with Mid 2 XM so I can use my own samples and VST's and basically make it sound better, but when I open the XM I found it seems to have randomized the channels the instruments play on all throughout the song. For instance let's say I've done a simple song with just a bass & piano. The bass starts on channel 1 and the piano on channels 4-10. The first pattern is usually fine, but later on the bass goes onto one of the piano channels and that piano channel plays on the bass channel.  It's annoying because I have to go though the entire song and put everything where it should be. Does anybody know what's going on or how I could get around this this?
Life brings you great gifts with one hand, and stabs you in the back with the other.

Saga Musix

first of all, questions about MID2XM should be asked directly at un4seen.

about your problem: problems is that MIDI supports many notes on one channel at the same time, but MODs support only one note at a time (i mean, being triggered at the same time. IT files support polyphonic channels, of course). MID2XM is prolly trying to organize the used channels in a very compact way, not only because the XM format is limited to 32 notes polyphony.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Indeed. The conversion causes this, not modplug reading the file. Why it exactly happens is as much as a guess to me as it is to Jojo.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs