[eastern indian classical] *india* (XM)

Started by uncloned, December 07, 2008, 15:17:34

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

talking about Indian music reminded me about this one.

an attempt to write in classical indian style - its pretty much all coded from static samples.

Of course you have to decide if I succeeded. I don't know where I come down on this one. Many in the classical Indian music community was upset because I didn't follow the rules. Many appreciated the effort to attempt something in their heritage. My Indian friends at work say they do not know the music rules but like the way it sounds... You decide

Ray and Lisa of octamed fame who let me use their Indian instrument sample pack.

Fast Tracker II

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mods/india.zip

Sam_Zen

I can imagine Indians not finding any of their rules. But it's not that important. A very nice attempt.
But the tabla is definetely not classical indian. Therefore it has too much a western approach.

uncloned

Sam_Zen

Difficult to explain. Maybe it's just playing around too much. Trying to vary all the time.
For a year I had tabla lessons by a Pakistan teacher, and it turned out to be first to be able to play with discipline, stuck to the basic pattern.

psishock

The samples are Indian. But the whole progression of the song reminds me to another genre, not exactly the accurate Indian atmosphere.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

Psi
ok, perhaps that's why some of the Indian people on the newsgroups got upset. They did say I perverted their music.

But then again my Indian lady friends at work loved it. go figure.

When I linked this to rec.music.indian in 1998 or so I ended up getting email offers for Indian classical music teaching programs for quite a while. I really like Indian culture and music - but I'm not going to devote my life to it. Too many other music possibilities to explore  :-)

Sam - yes - I think I got 4/4 going in this after I thought about it and it should be something more exotic like 13/8 or something. I find that sort of thing easier to do in on a score than a tracker.[/b]

Sam_Zen

It can be done quite easily in a tracker. In this case I'm used not to speak of 13/8 but 13 steps.
Just make a pattern length of 52, 104 etc. and fill in in the percussion pattern of one phrase.

Louigi Verona

As a lover of eastern music, I can say that this sounds very western ) Especially the drums.

uncloned

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"It can be done quite easily in a tracker. In this case I'm used not to speak of 13/8 but 13 steps.
Just make a pattern length of 52, 104 etc. and fill in in the percussion pattern of one phrase.

Was/is FT II capable of doing that? I don't think I tried more than half a pattern.

I just checked - I guess it was in the section above shrink/expand - I never tried that aspect. I'm not a very rhythmic person so I guess that just never occurred to me.