Estimated Time Left, when saving to .wav

Started by LPChip, June 02, 2007, 23:30:59

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

As its quite easy to get this, it would be cool to have it.

Currently when exporting to wave, you'll see a progressbar, how much filesize has been rendered yet, and how much time has been elapsed.

These data are necessary to calculate how much time it will take.

Since you know how much time it took to get to the current progress, you can simply calculate what time it would display if it was at 100 %.

Lets say that we have the following variables:

• FilesizeT = Total filesize of the wavefile (or otherwise what allows you to know what 100% is in the progress bar)
  • FilesizeC = Current filesize (counter that increases as a byte has been written, or otherwise what allows you to know how much has been rendered already)
  • TimeS = Time in seconds since the render has been started.
Lets pretend that we don't know anything else, here are some more variables calculated from the above vars.

• Progress = 100 / FilesizeT * FileSizeC     // gives the current progress in percentages
  • ET = (100 / Progress) * TimeS     // Gives total Estimated time.
  • ETL = ET - TimeS        // Gives Estimated Time Left in Seconds.
I've confirmed these calculations to be working due to an Excelsheet I made. Do note that it will not be able to calculate when either of the values are 0 (like progress = 0%, or the FilesizeC or TimeS = 0.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

Not sure if it'll be that accurate, though... I think that it'll only be able to be about as accurate as when you're burning a CD. The reason I say this is that when you suddenly have a whole bunch of CPU-intensive stuff happening (like introducing a 300MB multi-sampled instrument fed through about seven different effects... =P) the rendering slows down quite noticeably. But I really like the idea - it'd be great to see it implemented.

Saga Musix

even if i use 20 VSTs, the progess is quite constant... :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

seventhson

Would be cool to have,i only hope it's more accurate then the windows "estimated time"

bvanoudtshoorn

Quoteeven if i use 20 VSTs, the progess is quite constant... Very Happy

Really? That's strange... I get a definite decrease in speed the moment something big happens, and that's running on a 2ghz 64bit processor with a gig of ram... Maybe you've just got a much speccier system. =) Truth be told, though, I don't use the export to wave feature much, because a lot of the vsts (like Kontakt) I use just don't like it (yes, I've filed bug reports), so I end up just using the loop back on my x-fi to record.[/quote]

Saga Musix

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Maybe you've just got a much speccier system. =)

uh, not really, my machine is ~5 years old now :P
Maybe it's coz i'm not using VSTi, i only use VST.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

That's really odd... Hmm.

On a side note (and moderators, please move this into a separate thread if you think it should be there), maybe mpt should include a third type of rendering, in addition to normal and slow - loopback. That is, it plays the track at normal speed, and saves the output to disk. I think that this would mean that plugs which don't like mpt's export would work properly, and it would mean that I wouldn't have to pull up the x-fi panel everytime I wanted to export a track. =)

Saga Musix

Please confirm that this has been added as wished in OpenMPT 1.18 release candidate. You can set the thread status to S=C yourself then.

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs