More midi macros

Started by seventhson, June 04, 2007, 18:13:07

Previous topic - Next topic

maleek

I think bvanoudtshoorn outlines exactly what I miss the most from OMPT. I would definetly want a more sophisticated automation thingy in Modplug. (Renoise has one that seems very capable). Personally I think it is my most desired areas of change.

I would also like to say that Rewbs suggestion is a step in the right direction! I hope to see some kind of change in the future :)

psishock

I just  like to point out, that with one instance of Xlutop Chainer you can control 16 different parameters (even simultaneity) of one VST instrument in OMPT. If you load another instance (to different instrument slot example), whole different parameters can be set for those (1-16) slots and also controled one by one or simultaneity. That should be powerful enough to create about... hmmm....  everything that is automation related.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Nahkranoth

Can you be more specific or explain exactly how to automate some VST params through xlutop? I tried to figure this out but somehow dumped this idea. It seems in xlutop you can only automate chainer's dry|wet and pan, and maybe some other params.

For example I want to automate amp release in Synth1, and I have it hosted in Chainer. Please explain step by step what I need to do :oops:
(I don't want to use MIDI CC for that matter)

bvanoudtshoorn

You have to go to the plugin's secondary editor (click the "2" button), right-click on a param, and assign it a controller.

It's not possible to use xlutop to generate these control messages - I think that a plugin that could generate them would work, though. :/

psishock

I can write a small tutorial for people who are not familiar with it:

1. Step is naturaly, to load the Xlutop Chainer to an FX slot, and assign an instrument to it. After that, open the Chainer and load your VSTi to it (Synth1 for the example).
Then right click to the plugin's secondary editor (as bvanoudtshoorn already described):

So the parameter menu opens and you can scroll trough and modify every Synth1 parameter.
If you right-click to any parameter, you can assign it to Chainer's own MidiCC from 0-127 (after right-click, go Controller and chose your desired "slot", my choice will be "0" for this example):

Okay so far, now lets open the Zxx Macros panel in "Patterns" tab:

Now lets assign our Chainer plugin from FX1 "vst plugin slot" to SF0 "Midi Macro slot" and choose that CC we'd like to automate with SF0 command. (i will choose the CC0, 'cause i've already set that up above):

all right! we're ready, now you can automate the desired Synth1 parameter through Chainer, with Zxx (for instant automations) or with \xx (for nice and smooth slides):

additionally, with Chainer and OMPT you can control 16 (SF0-SFF) different MidiCC-s of a single VST(i), even simultaneity (choose any 16 channels in Patterns tab and use SFx and Zxx or \xx on them as desired), and that is just for one instance (instrument slot) of Chainer. If you need to use a second, totaly different VSTi, or the same but you desire different parameter control setup, you can open a second Chainer plugin to the second instrument slot, load up in it your desired VST(i) and set up your control parameters randomly to Chainer MidiCC (like i demonstrated on the second picture), again up to 16 (0-15) (without modifying the Zxx Macros Configuration), so in the end your Zxx Configuration will look like about this:

One more good thing, you can assign MORE VST(i) parameters to SINGLE Chainer MidiCC slot, so you can automate as many parameters as you like with one SFx and Zxx or \xx command (example i did set three Synth1 parameters to Chainer's MidiCC "7", and i can now control all of them, in my case, with a single SF7 and Zxx or \xx command on a single channel).

The 16 SFx Macro slot "limitation" is not an issue with Chainer anymore, using 16 parameters at a time (or more if you set more VST(i) parameters to a single Chainer MidiCC) of a single VST(i) should be more than enough for every musician, and that's just for one instance, open up another one and set parameters differenty, you will get whole different of settings to control just with a simple instrument change (without modifying the OMPT's Zxx Macro Configuration again).

Hope this helps!

älskling

Quote from: "psishock"I can write a small tutorial for people who are not familiar with it:
You should add this to the WIKI

psishock

okay, i've made a bit mess on the wiki since i had no idea how to use it properly, but i've cleaned it (everything, as far as i know ;) ), and did set the tutorial up there after figuring out some stuff. ^_^

Sam_Zen

Or the admin could decide to move this thread to the techdoc department.

Nahkranoth

Thanks, psishock! UR tEh MaN :D

psishock

Ahh, it's ok Nahkranoth, everybody was very friendly and helpful in the forums when i've got any problem or question. I happily did help in return. :wink:

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Or the admin could decide to move this thread to the techdoc department.
I do not want to move this out of this place, but instead, I'm making a new topic, quoting the post in Tech Docs. :)

Thanks Psishock, for an excellent post! :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Nice, LPChip. That's even better.

Exhale

Hi, I'm new here, but I have been working with modplug since changinig from Impulse 1999.  Anyways, I just want to confirm that I think that modplug could do with more macro's, ie:
+1

but I don't think you need to change the present system much to get there.  I like the present system because of it's simplicity so I was thinking instead of doing anything complicated just change the SFx's to something unused like maybe [xx or ;xx etc which will give us a heck of a lot more then 15 options.

Saga Musix

As long as you only need macros to control plugin parameters, there's already another solution ("control parameter effects") coming in one of the next major releases.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.