Adding presets to VSTi

Started by Harbinger, November 22, 2008, 03:02:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Searched the site and found no apparent answer for this problem:

Does anyone know how to load a VSTi with custom presets, in or out of MPT? I can save them into a separate folder, but i see in my preset list in the VSTi that there are open slots....

LPChip

I think you mean using the presets?

Add a VSTi to your project, press edit, and from the window, use file->open/save to load/save that sound to an .fxp file.

If you use Xlutop Chainer, you can even load/save banks, channels and so on.

I nowadays, use one Xlutop Chainer (they have 10 channels) and use 9 of them for my sounds. 10th for the master output. I can save one Xlutop Chainer setting as a songfile now, so I can easilly get the exact same settings for another song. Ofcource, this is not actually required, because I could also simply save the song as a new one, and remove all patterns. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Harbinger

No i know how to USE presets. I wish to assign my own creations to the VSTi's preset slots. Is Xlutop the only way? (I have a problem spending money.... :? )

LPChip

I'm affraid that I am not following what you want to archieve.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Harbinger

(Not only that, your spellcheck has betrayed you! :P )

Okay, open your VSTi screen, and open up the preset menu. Some VSTi's have "open slots" that say "Copy Init" or "Preset xx[/]" that have no real control config associated with them (actually they're there, but they're usually default settings). Now if i tweak some knobs, make a real sound with parameters that i like, what i hafta do now is save it as an .fxb. But what if i want to put it into one of the open preset slots -- only Xlutop can do that? Is there no other workaround? (I thought you understood me in the first post....:wink:)

LPChip

Oh, now I getcha.

First of all, I'm one of those who don't use a zpelltjecker, so sorry for that. :P

What you are asking for, I believe is not possible at all, or it would be a feature of that plugin. As soon as you edit a preset and store it in there, it is only stored in your song. So as soon as you either replace that VSTi or load that VSTi in, the default bank by that VSTi is loaded. There's nothing you can do to change that.

Harbinger

After a quick search in KVR and on the web, apparently this is not a common occurrence. I even found extra banks for the Sonata for example, but there's no documentation on how to load the banks! (I'm sure it's possible!)

But that begs the question, why put in blank presets if you can't add to the bank? Even if MPT can't do it, you'd think there'd be an exe somewhere...

Hmmm, i'll keep digging :?

LPChip

Usually they just make sure that there are enough presets available for you to make your song in, and some just don't want to risk overwriting a default preset, in case they wanna use that one later. But I agree, alot of empty presets usually is not necessary at all.