[analog] Kadath (OGG)

Started by Sam_Zen, November 18, 2008, 15:43:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Tipped by Nahkranoth I dug up an old recording with the same title, also inspired by a book of H.P. Lovecraft.

It's made with an Elka string ensemble keyboard, (which I unfortunately don't have anymore), a guitar fuzz pedal,
some taperecorders, and a few sounds from the Synthi.

Kadath - 10:50

Nahkranoth

Sam, this is SO AWESOME! And it would be even more if you can tell the year when it was written. Thinking of 197x, but after digging in Wikipedia I doubt that you are the pioneer of ambient :D. But hey, I thought that ambient is the invention of 90 :lol:. Either way, even if I wanted to create something similar, i would fail miserably. Using so few tools you managed to get the sound which is so complex that it gives me goosebumps :D
BTW there are clearly distinguishable parts, are they somehow connected to the actual chapters in the book?

Sam_Zen

I don't think there's a connection with the chapters of the book.
I just wanted to divide into some parts, to get some 'tension-envelopes' over the whole song.

Saga Musix

1976... you're great, man :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Hmm, I don't like these compliments..
I'm starting to hesitate to post more things from this period, because it could become some kinda bragging..
Never mind the year. It's about the content.

Nahkranoth talks about "Using so few tools". This a bit too a romantic view on the thing.
Just the Synthi alone, is already a very complex, versatile instrument with dozens of 'tools', and the potential of a million different sounds.
Just check my Synth pages about this machine to get an impression.

I think this is more a question of attitude. A tape recorder can record. But it can also be seen within electronics as an instrument.
One can use a fuzz pedal with a guitar, because it claims to distort the guitar sound.
One can also see it as a thing to modulate the input signal in a certain preset range way.

uncloned

Sam,

I love the textures and analog tape backward-ness

this is just awesome. Its a shame you don't have your strings keyboard anymore.

and the ending crescendos are very intense

psishock

I haven't got much experience about "how" should i listen to ambient type of musics, so i can't entirely compare this to other works or "translate your story". All i can say is that i'm really impressed with the progression, and the technical level. No matter what year was it made (but i must admit that it's still very impressive). To me, all that it means is the sounding. I could feel the intense parts and also the releases. The ending felt also right and calming. Yet again, it was a pleasure to listen, i'm looking forward for more. You got any recent technical work by any chance?
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Recent technical work mostly consists not of own compositions, but of engineering and producing sessions with or of other fellow musicians.
Work which I consider as a job of composing as well.

Never mind 'how' you should listen. Just set your brain to 'vulnerable' and get impressed. The feelings will convince the judge.

psishock

QuoteJust set your brain to 'vulnerable'
But of course, when i listen to music, i'm always open minded as possible and ready to be impressed by the hard work from the given artist. :)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Nahkranoth

I'm not bragging, I'm just admiring :D
The sound can be compared to most recent resynthesizers/additive synths. So if it's done using Synthi, man it's amazing. I'm curious if VST emulations of Synthi can do something similar. They're always frightening me with all these knobs/pins.

rncekel

I haven't had time to listen to this until now, but I had it downloaded and waiting in my hard disk...
Really nice. It reminds me of the work of Klaus Schulze in these years. And in fact, it sounds appropiate to the Lovecraft's books. Good job.

Nahkranoth

ARGH! Thought it was a comment to my Kadath :D
Nevertheless it's a great track, definitely worth the time it takes to listen. A keeper on my side.