[Analog] Skippin' rope (OGG)

Started by Sam_Zen, November 17, 2008, 13:54:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

An attempt to make something not that weird for a change (1977)
Synthi AKS and Elka strings.

http://www.samshuijzen.nl/sam/butapes/03/10_skipprope.ogg

bvanoudtshoorn

You know, this sounds quite baroque to me. I think that it's the extensive use of sequences. It's really interesting to see this side of your music, S_Z; I actually quite like it. It's somehow hypnotic.

Sam_Zen

Thanks, BvO. Things like this are indeed also a side of my music.

Saga Musix

1977, eh? This sounds pretty nice :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nahkranoth

So is it Dr Jekyll or Mr Hide of yours? :shock:
Judging by hardware used I expected some tuned resonant noise with strings for the background, but definitely not as melodic as it sounds! How many surprises you've got in your pocket, Sam_Zen? :D
Gotta listen a couple of times more :)

Sam_Zen

I don't think I'm schizzofrenic. I guess it's much more than double faces. I didn't want to restrict myself to any genre from the start.
If I choose for a certain form, I'll use it. Whether plain rock, techno, e-jazz, 'exotic', or abstract environments.
Sometimes I see authors in their posts almost apologizing for the fact that they made something outside their style.

Quotesome tuned resonant noise
What do you mean by that ? The Synthi has 3 straight waveform oscillators. The solo-sound in this is also made with it.
And maybe lately I was not that 'melodic' in my contributions, but then I want to recall some earlier posted pieces.

uncloned

genres are boxes to me and I'm claustrophobic :)

Sounds prog rock to me - I really like the melody you put over it.

My friends and I had some good times improvising over similar descending bass lines - it lends itself to dramatic melodies. There was a song we did called "my lady" that we'd gone forever with the descending bass line until my fingers hurt! I guess you do things like that if you are a bit tipsy and playing for more beer....

Nahkranoth

2Sam_Zen
By noise I meant rhythmic sequence made of noise oscillators. I think I heard exactly that, if the percussion part is played by Synthi AKS. I don't know however, if it has noise oscs, it's just a guess. Change resonant to rhythmic in my sentence and I won't need to explain my thoughts, confused after a hard day of work :D
I downloaded a pack of your mods and xms, so I can eventually get to your more melodic creations. But it's quite a problem now - 77 mb, 151 plain tracker file, 9 days of continuous listening :shock:

Sam_Zen

Ah, I see, the percussion part. You heard well. Indeed using a noise generator.
(to be a bit naggy : I wouldn't call it an oscillator, because noise doesn't oscillates, producing a tone with a certain frequency)

It's done with the Synthi. A special trick with the ring modulator, having two inputs, one output.
Noise on one input, the changing voltage of the sequencer on the other input.

Yep, the plain mods page is quite a lot. It's too much work for me also, to divide them into groups of genres, afterwards.

Maybe you'd better check my Album page, then you get smaller groups composed together, plus some non-tracker works as well.