[70s Metal] Eternal Return (mp3) Harlequin

Started by uncloned, March 18, 2009, 12:01:56

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

This is a piece I wrote in 74 or 75  - which means in reality I wrote a framework over which everyone else wrote their own part and improvised to my part as they wished.

Sorry for any recording imperfections - the tape is from 1976 or so and was done with really cheap equipment. This is a fresh digitalization so I haven't touched it up yet.

This was next to last incarnation of the band Harlequin

steve organ
frank bass
moh drums
chris guitar and vocal

http://clones.soonlabel.com/har/har-cmfs/eternal-return.mp3

Nahkranoth

Haven't listened yet, but clones,
do you know that there is another "Eternal Return" by Therion?
By all means it's worth listening!

Omg! 20 mb?

uncloned

I bet mine pre-dates theirs :-)

Nope I didn't know.

Since these are legacy recordings from my youth I use highest quality - and we jammed a while on it besides :-)

The sides of a cassette tape are approaching 500 mb per side as wavs.

Sam_Zen

Charming. Tightly played. Good guitar solo at the end.

uncloned

Thank you for the listen and comment Sam.

Glad you like the solo  - that was where I was at just before going to college and having my first formal training in guitar (classical guitar). I admit I enjoy it too. Its been decades since I've heard it.

Nahkranoth

Listened to it, and I must say it's was well worth a 20 mb download!
There are some simple but catching moments, when I thought: "Dayum, why I shouldn't have done that before!" The problem is I don't even existed at that time :D
The whole track can be easily redone in a more metal way, I almost can hear how it will sound. By easily :lol:  I mean that I can easily imagine it,  not the whole recording process. 8)  
It has that early underground demo sound, because of the quality (and maybe because it was recorded in a basement?  :D )
Good work from all of the musicians, enjoyed and saved, clones, I only wish there was a good sounding copy somewhere :crybaby:

uncloned

Hi Nahkronth. I think if you listen to the Sabbath Bloody Sabbath album you will find this song is suitable for the metal style of the time. Are you in a band? if so I'd consider letting you the song if I were to be given credit for writing the piece on any media you'd sell or give it away on. Thanks for listening and liking it. Sorry for my mangled blackberry english.

Nahkranoth

Actually I was thinking of Black Sabbath when listened to this song LOL.
ATM I'm not in a band, and it won't happen anytime soon. Got a little 4-month sonny and can't use my axe now, so it's collecting the dust.
But if I'll ever use some pieces of your song, you'll surely will be in the credits :D

uncloned

Hi, then I don't understand this statement

The whole track can be easily redone in a more metal way, I almost can hear how it will sound

And, I'm sorry - I am not giving permission to use just pieces of my song  in another work.

Nahkranoth

The whole track can be easily redone in a more metal way, I almost can hear how it will sound
It means that I can imagine it.
QuoteAnd, I'm sorry - I am not giving permission to use just pieces of my song  in another work.
OK, no problem

uncloned

Well I guess it seems a good representation of late 70's metal to me so I don't understand what it is missing from your point of view.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

My first impression was early Zepp rather than Black Sabbath, but i could detect influences of each. Y'know, even though this song is 30 years old, uncloned, this actually has potential! :P The song, however, has no upper frequencies above middle A it seems (which is why i can't understand one single word! -- long live sibilance!), and needs some serious song refinement and decent engineering. But with musicians with more talent and cohesion (or maybe just an excellent producer), this could rock! It's obvious you guys had a song design going in.

Let this be a lesson to all you kids thinking you're going be famous as a rock musician: dreams are nice, and good ideas start the motor, but you'll go nowhere without talent and teamwork (and connections). You may still enjoy the times you get to rock out with good friends, but there's hardly a market anymore for the garage sound, and this song is the sound of a garage two doors down :D. [This is why Aeon decided early on not to be a gig band, we all have talent, just not as part of a rock band. If i can sit in in a studio and refine our sound by slicing and dicing and cutting and pasting, we have a good sound.] Back then though, uncloned, didn't have the tools we have today to take an average band and make them marketable.

If they did, i'm sure uncloned would be at very different station in life, right uncloned? :wink:

uncloned

I don't know if we could have made it even with a manger and producer.

1. we had different directions in  mind A) Frank anticipated much of the direction metal was to take and loved the genre B) Mohsen wanted to play jazz ala Mahavishnu C) I wanted to expand beyond writing just metal songs - I bore easily and also wanted to add another guitarist plus Mike (see below) to expand our horizons.

2. We were all really closed minded and pretty full of ourselves.

3. We were not willing to hold down jobs to purchase good equipment.

4. Mike Barry (not on this tape) is an excellent keyboardist - he was interested in prog rock which we were certainly capable of (I posted Total Title here - a 20+ minute piece with Mike) and I'd argue that he would of been needed as part of any winning formula - but metal bored him.

5. We needed a full time singer who had a real voice.

So... was it possible yes - but none of us had a single purpose or the willingness to work as had as it would of taken to actually go anywhere except Mike who actually did make a real career in music. And, incidentally, found it wasn't as fun as one would suppose. According to him people were trying to make money off of him everywhere he turned.