(Split) MPT Compo! :D

Started by psishock, November 14, 2008, 23:56:15

Previous topic - Next topic

aGIANTpupafish

did someone say compo?  :o
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

bvanoudtshoorn

How're we going to run this compo?

I have competition management software... All it requires is PHP and MySQL... :)

LPChip

I have php and MySQL. All I require is a competition management software package. :nuts:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

Hmm...

LP, I can email you the latest one when I get home tonight, if you like. I can hop on to MSN as well, so that I can explain the config etc. (which should be pretty self-explanatory, but anyway.)

Saga Musix

you don't need something like that. we can do it like at one hour compos. all you need is CMS, the compo management system. people from #mod_shrine know it. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"you don't need something like that. we can do it like at one hour compos. all you need is CMS, the compo management system. people from #mod_shrine know it. :)

But I already have the package in my email box :P

I'll look into it tomorrow or the weekend. (depends a bit on when I have some time)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Harbinger

Okay i'm back at work so i can check in.

I got my new stuff on Monday the 17th, and i can't believe how far the technology curve i fell behind!!

The Sempron says in System Info that it's going at 2.2 Ghz!! That can't be right, is it?

Getting everything set up was easy and smooth. I carried in MPT .52 and it looked good and ran like a charm!

So i loaded one of my songs that used more than one VSTi (in this case, Raving Lunatic) and ran it. Not a problem!. So i replaced one or two samples with other VSTi's. Not a problem! At least not with CPU load. So i worked on another piece that used 3 high-end, heavy-CPU VSTi's.

Not a problem!

(Actually there was a problem with the keyboard -- maybe someone has a solution: when i press a key, it apparently is interrupting the output; the sound chops in little stutters. I switched to a USB keyboard and the stutters are smaller but still noticeable...)

So needless to say, life is good. I got way more than i bargained for. And it even runs my favorite games pretty good. You guys are in for a treat for the things i'm (and we're) going to produce!

Now, for the real question: WHAT THE HELL IS A "COMPO"??!! :x

bvanoudtshoorn

Compo, n. A common abbreviation for 'competition'. In Australia, also used as an abbreviation for 'compensation'.

Saga Musix

well, i've heard that it's a european abbreveration. maybe because demoscene simply doesn't exist in the USA (or well, it's really really small :D).

QuoteThe Sempron says in System Info that it's going at 2.2 Ghz!! That can't be right, is it?
yeah, unbelievable how slow that is! :nuts:
(J/K)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Before I came on this forum, I used 'compo' as abbreviation for composition.
I stopped using that here, to avoid confusion.

psishock

well, i'm european, loving the demoscene, so the 'compo' means compo to me. :D

Good to have you back Harbinger, i'm glad that you're more than happy with the new rig. Looking forward to check the nice works with the more wider VST support.
Quote from: "Harbinger"i can't believe how far the technology curve i fell behind!!
Heh, you'll get used to it pretty fast, i can assure you :). People are usually getting used to good things easily.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

xaimus

i thought my computer was fast until i decided to move entirely to 96khz/24-bit

now it feels like it's 2004 again

psishock

Quote from: "xaimus"96khz/24-bit
:shock: Care to share the advantage of that over the several disadvantage?
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

xaimus

recording seems cleaner

plus it helps me sleep easier at night

Saga Musix

i'm using 32 bit for a long time now. i don't think that ASIO does even support anything else. at least i think that modplug set the resolution to 32bit itself when i switched to ASIO. my soundcard has 24 bit output, though.

as for frequency, it does matter. listen to the module version of "late-night compo" and solo the lead. at 44khz, you'll hear awful noisy artifacts when it goes into the high octaves, that doesn't happen at 96khz.