If you ever need inspiration for writing your drums...

Started by LPChip, January 09, 2006, 21:20:36

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

This video shows a little kid playing the drums.

The beginning might look a bit boring, but at around 4 or 5 minutes into the video, a great piece is being played!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1887293651082720270&q=tony+royster
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

I've seen that before, I just can't remember where...
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Rakib

amazing  :shock:

but you said a great piece being played, did you mean a famous track?
^^

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"I've seen that before, I just can't remember where...
on the world wide interweb perhaps?

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"on the world wide interweb perhaps?

Maybe, I recently picked up drums, and I have a few drum solos on the computer that I downloaded, maybe it's lost in those
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

LPChip

Quote from: "Rakib"amazing  :shock:

but you said a great piece being played, did you mean a famous track?

Lol, No I mean, at some point a really nice drumpattern is being played. Get it? A great piece :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Anonymous

Now there's a drummer that uses his wrist. A lot of drummers mistakenly use a stiff arm and develop their chops around that, but clearly, as you can see here, using the wrist technique results in some amazing drumming. Hence one handed fills. (which is done by loosening and tightening the wrist in succession)

I think a lot of people would think this is even more impressive that a 12 year old child is doing this. I'm not impressed that he's 12, I'm impressed because he has picked up on the wrist style and is able to showcase some of the advantages thereof.

When you do it this way, you don't need super human strength. Although endurance is key and this child has a lot of it.

I would have liked to heard more steady rhythms at different time signatures. Also it would have been nice to hear him play with some music, or a bass-line. Rapid, frilly-fills are great, but they aren't everything a good drummer should know.

Ultimately, I'd say he's a natural. His biggest challenge will be learning to take it down a notch when he's part of a band. GOOD bands orchestrate for the greater good of the music, not show boat over one another to see who can get the most attention out of their own talents.

Good stuff.