.48 Modplug freezes when using A digidesign snddev

Started by symphonymous@hotmail.com, November 10, 2008, 10:48:42

Previous topic - Next topic

symphonymous@hotmail.com

Full Version:

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): Haven't checked

Description of the bug: programme freezes when i press the "Play Pattern" or "Replay Pattern" and despite pressing the stop button the pattern doesn't stop playing!

How often does it happen?: most times i use Mod plug tracker it will at some point freeze up like this. not every time i press one of the aforementioned buttons, but on average i'd say once every twenty or so times (which is a lot if you're working on a tune for some time!)

How to reproduce (step by step description): setup a digidesign device (in my case and Mbox2 Mini), set the sound device in modplug to the relevant driver and then work on a song!

any suggestions much appreciated!

edit by jojo: edited title to conform to other bug reports

bvanoudtshoorn

OK, let's see if we can pinpoint this bug. :)

1. Are you using all the latest drivers for your device?
2. Does the problem occur when you close everything except OpenMPT? Does it occur in safe mode?
3. What output settings are you using in OpenMPT? For example, are you trying to push through audio at a sampling rate the device doesn't understand?

LPChip

As Bvanoudshoorn points out, I suspect the playback rate to cause this.

Often if a buffer is very small, but not too small, it can easilly choke on the sounddata.

Try setting different sound drivers and settings to see if that makes a difference.

If you can get a mode where it doesn't crash (even if the playback has a serious delay) then we can work from there to get it to play nicelly.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Harbinger

I concur with LP. Occasionally MPT will crash usually when i use VSTs or VSTi's that MPT can't read or Windows 98 can't prepare, but i rarely freeze. When i do freeze, it's because my slow computer is trying to process heavy sound data, which is usually with a high-end VSTi. The only remedy short of buying a faster computer is to lower the sample rate in the Sound Card tab of MPT's preference window (try the lowest, 16K, first). I often must listen to crappy sound in order to get the rate low enough for my system to process the synthesis, but it usually helps.

LPChip

Since the user never got back to us, there's clearly no interest in getting this fixed anymore.

If you read this, feel free to reply with the questions to the answers, and we'll reopen the bug for you.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs