Will openMPT run under this system?

Started by Harbinger, November 08, 2008, 17:15:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

a good soundcard starts where you have built-in ASIO for low-latency playback, also the noise levels are considerably higher on cheap cards. If you want to record audio through line-in, you will notice this fastly. also, cards which have 6,5mm jacks, or even better, rca connectors, will be better just because they have those jacks. :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

To be honest, after your excellent response, all of which you described is low priority for me. I was doing fine with the bottom-of-the-barrel SoundBlaster, hi latency, no jacks, etc. because i have other tools that can compensate for it. I'm much too miserly with my hard-earned money to spend extra on problems that i can either work around or don't need to account for.

But i'm grateful for the responses from all of you. I will go ahead with the purchase and let you know how the transition goes. Even 50% better CPU and RAM will increase the production of my music a hundredfold...

Thanx guys!!:wink:

älskling

At least one thing is for sure, asking in a forum about the best computer configuration will always result in many different opinions. :) I hope you'll be happy with your computer.

residentgrey

FSB is the operating speed of the motherboard, essentially the running speed of your computer under ideal conditions.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

älskling

Quote from: "residentgrey"FSB is the operating speed of the motherboard, essentially the running speed of your computer under ideal conditions.
I think that statement is overly simplified. It's an important factor tho, I can argue with that. (Of course, if everything else is ideal anything can be a bottleneck).

Sam_Zen

Often the operating speed of the motherboard refers to the speed of the Crystal Clock Oscillator.
This may be the running speed, but to consider the fastest possible operations, one has to divide this speed at least by 2.

älskling

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Often the operating speed of the motherboard refers to the speed of the Crystal Clock Oscillator.
This may be the running speed, but to consider the fastest possible operations, one has to divide this speed at least by 2.
I would say that's extremely rare these days.

Sam_Zen

uncloned

hmmm lok at alternatives

http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/wem1757.asp?SRCCODE=WEM1757MH&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-WEM1757-_-post

for that money you can get a 2.2 GHz dual core laptop with 160 gb HD space and a gig of ram.

on that page is a $200 refurbished system that has good specs as well

Also you can get ASIO latency on many sound cards

http://www.asio4all.com/

At this point is would be exceptional if a soundcard sounded bad - not good. You can of course spend lots of money and get excellent signal to noise, surround sound, built-in effects. Myself  - I never used any of those effects and surround sound...

buy.com
tigerdirect.com
amazon.com
frys.com

älskling

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Why ? Tell me more..
Crystal oscillators are only used as reference for PLL:s, and thr frequency of it is probably the same on most motherboards. In a modern computer the design is far too complex to give a single number and say that's the "speed". The only relevant numbers are the ones you get from various tests, which of course leads to hardware manufacturers optimizing their designs to perform well on specific tests.

EDIT: I also agree with Chris' post.