[electronic imp] Introvert 4 (ogg)

Started by Sam_Zen, October 25, 2008, 01:13:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

An improvisation with the 'sync' option of the analog Synthi AKS, playing 'mathematical' scales.
http://www.samshuijzen.nl/sam/introvert/4_introvert4c.ogg

tvdude

Sam this would be excellent in a short, minimalist black and white film.  The music itself tells a brief, yet very intense story.  I think it's fascinating.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

bvanoudtshoorn

The turns and jumps between different pitches actually makes me think of a Gaelic sort of tune -- it's almost bagpipe-ish. I really enjoyed thisk, and I think that tvdude's right -- given the track's minimalism (a single melodic line with no accompaniment), it would work best in a wholly minimalist context, such as an indie film.

mrvegas

I have heard some of the strangest stuff in my life from Sam Zen -- for the most part, that's meant as a compliment.

Very moody this piece.  Half saxophone, half-bagpipe.  I see the beginning of a very artsy black-and-white movie here.

What is a mathematical scale?

Sam_Zen

I just had to find a term for it, because it's not related to any musical scale, the scale is made depending on electronic properties.
An attempt to make a short explanation :

The Synthi has the 'sync' function, which means that oscillator1 can force oscillator2 to have the same frequency.
If the force of this sync is attenuated, maybe osc2 is not able to still produce the same freq, so locks in on the nearest harmonic one.
Could be an octave higher, or lower, depending on the freq difference between osc1 and osc2.
Or, if sync influence is more decreased, result in the center freq between the two (about the fifth I guess).
Etcetera. Every added freq will add more notes at a new half between two frequencies.

So in this case, one osc is steady, the other one is played with on the KB, while it will be unpredictable what each key produces.

I've added another example, with obvious declining scales :

http://www.samshuijzen.nl/sam/introvert/5_introvert5.ogg

uncloned

I think I like 4 better than 5 for sheer illustration of the phenomenon

It may interest you - guitar octave divider pedals do a similar thing

The simpler versions of this effect pedal is designed with the intent of being fed a single note - present the pedal with a low pitched fifth for instance from a fuzzed guitar and the output cycles up and down between the two notes. Different intervals and pitches change change the output.

Sam_Zen

Yep, I guess it's about the same algoritm.

uncloned

I'm not sure.
For the guitar example it only uses notes already there.

It sounds like you are playing with harmonics here.

Have you played with 555 timers Sam? They are awesome chips and it is easy to make octave dividers from them among other things.

Sam_Zen

I'm quite familiar with electronic circuits like the 555. Or the 556 or 558.
They are lineair circuits, so I guess some things could be achieved as well, producing subtle division.
As you say, the source should be 'fuzzed' in some way, to perform properly.