Main Menu

Hi!

Started by arinlares, October 27, 2008, 04:37:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

QuoteIf you start with an XM module, you'll be limited to XM effects, and the XM specification, so yes. Note, however, that you won't be able to use plugins etc.
This seems to be a common misconception. XMs _do_ support VST and stuff, only some of the latest features won't work.
Also, the (new) help file has to be converted to CHM at some point as HLP files aren't support officially anymore, you'll notice that you can't view them in a standard windows vista installation for example.

Welcome. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"OpenMPT module (which is, as far as I know, the same as OpenMPT's IT format).
Although very similar, they are not the same,.

psishock

-waves both hands-
hello and welcome arinlares! :cheers:
what type of music do you listen/make/sound?
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

arinlares

usually, minimalist or industrial.

LPChip

I love industrial with a breakbeat! If you make that kind of industrial, I'd love to hear some of your music. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

arinlares

i'll see what I can get when I settle in!  i just started industrial in FL Studio, and am still trying to get the right sound there.  LPChip, assuming you're the original developer, i want to say "Thank You" for such a wonderful piece of software!  i do have one question, though.  i put ModPlug on my flash drive to save harddrive space, and for portability's sake, and was wondering if when I go to use it on a different computer, would it freak out because ASIO doesn't exist on it?

LPChip

Quote from: "arinlares"LPChip, assuming you're the original developer, i want to say "Thank You" for such a wonderful piece of software!
Oh, I wish! :)

No, it was Olivier Lapique who made MODPlug Tracker upto version 1.16. It then went open source and Rewbs continued the development with help of other developers and then gave the lead developing to Relabsoluness who still does it today. It are they who you should thank, really. :)

My part in all this is keeping the community together by providing a website and if required, make hard decisions. :) Although, I must say: I didn't start the community either. MisterX started it, and I took over as it was taking too much time for him.

Quote from: "arinlares"
I do have one question, though.  i put ModPlug on my flash drive to save harddrive space, and for portability's sake, and was wondering if when I go to use it on a different computer, would it freak out because ASIO doesn't exist on it?

OpenMPT was changed so it could be portable (no more settings storage in the registry, but in a .ini file instead), so it will certainly not freak out. The only thing that might happen is that the paths change due to a different driveletter. If you cannot alter the driveletter of the usb stick, then you can create a batchscript to start OpenMPT with the right path so it will always work. Such script would look like this:

REM Simple Portability script
cd\
subst . z:
z:
cd \OpenMPT
mptracker.exe

In the above example, it will expect OpenMPT to be on the usbdrive at the following location:

<usb>:\OpenMPT\mptracker.exe

By changing the code "cd OpenMPT" you can alter this, or completelly leave it out if you want the tracker to be in the root.

The script basically copies the driveletter to one you know and then from there run OpenMPT. This'll ensure that you can define Z as static path so it works the same everywhere. If Z is unacceptable for some reason, Any letter from D-Z will do, but the higher the better.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

arinlares

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"If you do want the original help file you can download the copy I've got by clicking here, but as I said, it's hopelessly out of date. Still, it contains a lot of information about the effects you can use when you're writing traditional sample-based (ie no VSTs) tracks.

just downloaded it, checked the effects for various formats.  For IT and MPTM files, is there some sort of key-off function if i happen to be using an XI instrument or a sample, or in general?

bvanoudtshoorn

A note off is achieved using "===" (hit the equals key); a note cut is achieved using "^^^" (hit the ` key). :)

arinlares

i was going to delete that post, but the tilde (`) key also does that, i found by pressing random keys.  Would it be safe to assume that a MPTM file is a modified IT file?  the effects are identical as far as I can tell.

uncloned

welcome - and I'm from the USA midwest.

There is a tracker made for Linux - but then you don't get the VSTs I believe.
(Chibitracker?)

mod archive has some info I believe

Of course with linux you get rosegarden which is a free sonar/cubase work alike - but getting sound to work right is not easy in my experience.

arinlares

there are a couple I know of. Linux Multimedia Studio, though not a tracker, is pretty good (at least the new Windows beta version), and has support for Windows vsts in Linux., but i'm tired of piano-roll sequencers.  i'm pretty sure with crossover or wine, i could get modplug working if I need to when I get linux.

uncloned

I think you get musical staffs with rosegarden
but that is of course different yet again