Changing VSTi presets in a pattern

Started by Harbinger, October 25, 2008, 03:41:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

I thought a read a post on changing a VSTi preset via MPT; now i can't find the post. Just passed over it when i saw it but now i actually NEED that info and i can't find it. Can someone provide me with that link or leave instructions on how to change to a different preset of a VSTi from the track?

Dictator

I think this may be what you are looking for. It's centered around Xlutop chainer.
Also, there was a thread about VSTi's a while ago, where Harbinger explained modifying VSTi's during the song. Just look at his post in this thread.

Saga Musix

Quotewhere Harbinger explained
LOL :nuts: :lol:

I dunno, but may this work by sending MIDI CCs?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

In order to change the VSTi preset, you'll need to make another instrument and assign it to the same VSTi, but instead change the midi bank and midi channels where necessary.

During the song, you change to the other instrument.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Dictator

Quote from: "Jojo"
Quotewhere Harbinger explained
LOL :nuts: :lol:
Whoops... Didn't really pay attention to who was posting and just put some relevant links I could find.

Harbinger

Excellent workaround LP!! I didn't think about that.

Uh-oh, i just thought of a problem:
Is it going to eat CPUs even if one of the VSTi's is standing by? Remember i'm emulating at 100mHz.... (which is why i can't use Xlutop)

By the way i tried sending MIDI CCs using SFx codes, and they wouldn't change the banks. They would alter parameters if the controllers had MIDI CC assignments, but i tried the Bank [Coarse] and Bank [Fine] CCs but they didn't work. I may have to set it up some other way in order to get it to accept Bank changes.

LPChip

Quote from: "Harbinger"Excellent workaround LP!! I didn't think about that.

Uh-oh, i just thought of a problem:
Is it going to eat CPUs even if one of the VSTi's is standing by? Remember i'm emulating at 100mHz.... (which is why i can't use Xlutop)

By the way i tried sending MIDI CCs using SFx codes, and they wouldn't change the banks. They would alter parameters if the controllers had MIDI CC assignments, but i tried the Bank [Coarse] and Bank [Fine] CCs but they didn't work. I may have to set it up some other way in order to get it to accept Bank changes.

You don't need to have copies of the same VSTi for different instruments. You can just assign that one VSTi to several instruments and change their midichannels/banks respectivelly.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

I guess that what LP is getting at is that a lot of plugins can accept input on all sixteen MIDI channels, and output different sounds accordingly. So if you have one VSTi with appropriate setups for different channels, you can just use the same instrument w/ many channels. This is what I do in Kontakt.

Note that if you *are* working in Xlutop (which I know you're not, Harbinger, but just in case someone else is), once you've loaded the instrument, you need to click on the drop down arrow to its left, and select "Midi Send Channel" -> "All" to get this to work.

Harbinger

Quote from: "LPChip"You don't need to have copies of the same VSTi for different instruments. You can just assign that one VSTi to several instruments and change their midichannels/banks respectivelly.

Tried it. Works beautifully!! Like we say in America: "You da man!!"