[Techno] Titanian Orbit(mp3)

Started by Harbinger, October 19, 2008, 14:35:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Nice production. The lead starting at 1:28 is a bit non-descript in its melody, and stops, hanging in the air.
It doesn't complete its sentence, so to speak.

Harbinger

Thanks, Zen. Do you remember if that was in the original? I thought everything was okay, but i'll go back and check it.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "älskling"A screenshot of Audacity with the option "Show Clipping" enabled:
This is just so wrong. Clipping does not occur in a file, clipping occurs during mixing. For example, if you have a 100% normalized waveform and mix it with another 100% normalized waveform (and don't divide the volume by 2 before), you will get clipping, because they both mixed together will will be louder than 0dB. However, as soon as you saved this mix in a wave file, there is no clipping anymore. If Audacity detects anything here, then it's distortion, which can be due to clipping, but it can also be pure intention. If you just have an unedited waveform, you cannot say "it has clipping".
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

2 Harbinger : everything is ok, this was a impression remark, not a technical one.

2 Jojo : a matter of how you put it, of course, but the saved mix still has the clipping imo.
Nothing can go beyond the 100%, so the peaks will be cut off with a straight line.

Saga Musix

You cannot really say that there "still is clipping", it's rather like "there has been clipping in the mixing process", IMO. I'd simply call it distortion. That's also approximately how Wikipedia puts it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Jojo, there is a word i think that would help you in this discussion. That word is connotation. The meaning that was conveyed used a connotation of the word 'clipping', which is indeed technically an audial effect. But the connotation was imparted visually by Zen's post to show possible distortion, which would imply clipping, a connotation.

You have much to add i'm sure, but i would ask that you please don't chime in on matters of strict interpretation. Everybody's point was clear....  :wink:

psishock

Quote from: "Jojo"This is just so wrong. Clipping does not occour in a file, clipping occours during mixing. For example, if you have a 100% normalized waveform and mix it with another 100% normalized waveform (and don't divide the volume by 2 before), you will get clipping, because they both mixed together will will be louder than 0dB. However, as soon as you saved this mix in a wave file, there is no clipping anymore. If Audacity detects anything here, then it's distortion, which can be due to clipping, but it can also be pure intention. If you just have an unedited waveform, you cannot say "it has clipping".

Well, as far as my experience goes, nobody normalizes to 100%, but to ~-0.2db or very close to 0db. What Audacity (or any other program) detects is 0db peak(s) and that only happens because clipping (which occurred of course somewhere in the mixing process) so you can safely say to any waveform that has 0db peaks: "ah yes, this has clipping".
One can of course use the result of the 0db clipping as a distortion effect, but it's a very bad idea imo, because it has many negative factors which should be taken in consideration. It should be reached with other ways (there are plenty).

About "distortion", with clipping you can archive a similar effect, but there are also many more forms of distortions (basically its just messing with the given waveform, it can be various), so distortion != clipping.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

I don't think that audacity detects 0db as clipping (I normalize everything to 0db anyway), but it rather detects if the signal is maxed all the time, like in the first picture on that wikipedia page.

psishock

Quote from: "Jojo"I normalize everything to 0db
Don't. :D

Sam_Zen

Don't either. I normaly avoid setting any parameter to the 100%. One just loses room for you never know..

Saga Musix

For what? I normalize it *after* mastering.

psishock

Oh, and the comment about the song! =):
It got some nice variations, but it lacks of some "life energy" that your recent song has imo. But, practicing will improve the skills, of course, on every genre. ;)

notice:
(04:00 till the end) some very disturbing loose note is ruining the ending.

Harbinger

Thanks for the heads up, psishock. I've listened to it over and over and didn't detect it, but you must have the new Superaudial Sonic Subdecibel Detection Transmogrificinator!! :P

I'll check it out. It will be important later..... 8)

AppO

I can't dowload your track. Is the link still OK ? Is ther any alternative source ?

7ANK5
The Humble Craftsman aka Viktor Ugo-Appas aka Jolimelodia

Harbinger

The site is down, so check back later. However, the file was altered since the original 2nd upload, so i will make sure it downloads OK.

I'll let you know....