[DUPE] number of channels

Started by Winter, October 11, 2008, 10:22:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Winter

I want to make a suggestion.

Look at this screenshot:

There is so much space left on the right side!
Wouldn't it be nice, if there were more channels available?
I could edit more channels at the same time more quickly.

My screen-resolution is 1280x800. Not all users have got this resolution.

BUT you could make it possible to let the user set the desired number of channels in the preferences!

I know that this issue has been discussed several times before.
So, why don't you improve that??
I think that this is not much work.
You could make Modplug a giant step better just by adding this tiny feature!

Edit: Dupe of http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=1469.0

Saga Musix

QuoteI know that this issue has been discussed several times before.
why do you open a new thread then?

QuoteSo, why don't you improve that??
because there's only one active developer at the time and other people (like me) don't / can't contribute very much to the sourcecode. (on a side node, i just made my very first OpenMPT modification this week :D one line of code, but why cares...)

QuoteI think that this is not much work.
oh, believe me, it is.

QuoteYou could make Modplug a giant step better just by adding this tiny feature!
look at all the feature requests and reconsider what you just said. having more than 4 channels on the general tab is not a priority for me either. I don't use that overview that much, I rather use pattern effects and the channel manager.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

The on-going drone of "not much work.." :)

Winter

Yeah okay.

Maybe the current "one-man-developement team" of the MPT should hire some professional programers for help and sell Modplug to the community to pay the programers.
Just like Renoise. They want 50 Euro for the Fullversion.
But the MP T is better! I would be ready to spend money for it.

Saga Musix

"they"... Renoise is also mostly a one-man project AFAIK. And selling open-source software is just... wrong.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"And selling open-source software is just... wrong.
Why is it wrong?

Saga Musix

if you have the sourcecode, why should you buy it? :D I *know* there are OS products that you have to pay for (e.g. SuSE), but that's not for the product but the support.

Winter

Oh ja. It is wrong.
Open Source means free for all.

But you could change this state and make it not open source.

If everybody may download the source code,
why does anybody improve some things?  :D

People who have skills and who want to make money out of it, just need to discharge the Feature-Requests-List of this forum!!

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"if you have the sourcecode, why should you buy it?
Because compiler costs more? :)  But that doesn't answer the question what makes it wrong -- and actually you gave a good example of case where one is, from a certain point of view, 'selling' open-source 'software'.

Quote from: "Winter"Open Source means free for all.
A bit of ambiguity here -- I used 'open source' as 'software with source code (at least partially) available', not Open Source as defined by OSI.

Saga Musix

Well, this isn't what the thread / request was about anyway. :P
And SuSE is sold to companies because companies need support, unlike normal end-users. And support is not free.

Winter

Nevermind.

Opensource or not!
I want Modplug to become better. I want to contribute! Be it money or ideas!
But I am not a programer.

Sam_Zen

Ok, back to topic.
I don't mind that much that the General tab only shows 4 channels.
Because I normally use the Pattern tab if I'm editing.

LPChip

And just to express why its alot of work:

The general tab is currently designed for a small resolution. 800x600 or 1024x768 (dunno which one).

In order to make it expand the screen, the page must be created dynamically, instead of statically as it is now.

That means that several controls must be recreated using scripting so it can calculate how many controls it must show depending on what size you use. Next the controls must be able to control the right values depending on which tabs you choose.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs