Dual/Multi Core support

Started by psishock, September 27, 2008, 16:22:46

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

As jikoo reminded me on the general forum, this one is reeeealy needed for VST(i)s. I always need to work separately on a few channels because not having enough processing power ::). Hearing all channels at once, without needing to render everything to .wav would save very huge time.

I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Nahkranoth

Nah, what really needed is proper and stable VST support with bank loading ability, some good vst browser and finally - modular host :D
This is not possible in near (and even far) future, but it would be damn good.
Just curious, how many channels/synths/effects are you using at the same time if you have this problem on dual/multi core?

psishock

I'm using an intel Core2Duo overclocked to about 3ghz (that is still very powerful imo), but the situation often can get pretty out of hand.

i'm usually hooking 1-3 effect to 1 VSTi, but the overflow can happen if i example run/automate even 2-3 very complex basses or strings (means hell lots of oscillators modulating each other, fast LFOs included and etc.) VSTis simultaneity.

About channels, hmm i like to spread out my work place, means that i use a separate channel for every type of sound (but that's not really matters because it will give all the midi messages to a same specified VSTi, just gives me comfort when i edit/ more precise preview)
So i use usually about 10-16max for drum, ~6 for bass, ~6-8 for strings, ~4 for leads, and you can count ~10 more for "FX" and other "filler" sounds that will make the experience more richer.
There you have it, about ~40 sounds at a time at least. (means i haven't even counted the multiplier that you need to include on polyphony sounds) I can easily reach 3-400+ :shock: sounds at a time because of their extended release time.
Talking about the need for every single extra way to free up my cpu  ::), i very much would like to ask for the multicore support. ^_^
I'm thinking anyway to buy a strong 3-4ghz dual/quad core processor and clock it 'till it lets me. That way i will breathe a bit more easier with polyphony. =)

complex strings and very fast LFO based basses are the most tricky ones. (cpu hogs)

LPChip

I use alot of VSTi's with alot of effects over it, and I don't get that much CPU problems.

I would say that your VSTi is just very resource heavy, and it might be good to find an alternative that is less cpu heavy.

I once had a situation where my reverb plugin just caused cpu lag. When I found out that it was that plugin, reducing its usage solved all my problems.

And yes, I'm using heavy weight plugs too, like Kontakt, Absynth 4, FM8, etc.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

well, i'm only using FM8 now as you already know =) it totally hit the spot for me.
The VST effects are not a problem, but this VSTi can be really resource heavy, totally depends from the sound setup.
If you got any potential alternative that worth a try, drop a comment or two. I personally don't know anything on the market that could replace it.

what i need is:
- 5-6 wave OSCs (with ratio and offset support) that can be modulated with each other
- 1 resonant filter (least)
- graphical envelopes for every OSCs and filter
- least 1 LFO, but more the better
- noise OSC, but not necessary, drums are not CPU hogs
- unison (least 4-8 voices)
- polyphony (the more the better, i would say about 32 minimum, optimal would b 128+)
- portamento support

...hmmm yea, can't thing right now of anything else important, that should cover the basics.

LPChip

I'd say: try finding an additional light-weight plugin that you can use next to FM8, so the sounds that don't really require 6 OSC's will use another plugin. That way, you'll have more cpu power for your other stuff. For instance, a good bass often can be made with simple plugins because they all support that whats needed for a simple bass.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

nobuyuki

psishock:  Just out of curiosity, how are you able to use FM8 with openMPT without it locking up?  Every time I close the VSTi window for FM8, openMPT hard locks :(

LPChip

Quote from: "nobuyuki"psishock:  Just out of curiosity, how are you able to use FM8 with openMPT without it locking up?  Every time I close the VSTi window for FM8, openMPT hard locks :(

By using it inside Xlutop Chainer. :)

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "LPChip"By using it inside Xlutop Chainer. :)

If they start developing Chainer again, they should give it a new tagline:

"Xlutop Chainer -- it solves all your VST problems in OpenMPT!"

psishock

nobuyuki:
Well, i can use it without any lockups without Chainer, but if any trouble is experienced yeah, Chainer is the solution 4 u. Maybe you need to upgrade it to the latest version (FM8 i mean), i have 1.03.