Females and tracking

Started by Relabsoluness, January 05, 2006, 13:56:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Relabsoluness

Somewhere I have gotten an impression that a female using tracker is very rare - I don't remember ever hearing of such, though that is not a very good comparison since I know only a few people who have ever used a tracker.
But given that the impression is correct, why is the matter like that, is it just that music production is in general more 'manly', or is it more like that there is something with the tracker-concept that makes females avoid tracking? If so, what could be done to change that, or can it be?

LPChip

Lets focus on more than just females vs trackers.

If you look at a large scale, males uses the pc alot more than female, especially at home. Okay, I admit, there are exceptions. Some females do use the pc alot also at home.

Lets see what they usually do with the PC?

mostly they chat, surf the net or any other form of communication as email etc.

Gamers usually are male too, but females start to game more often too. Why don't they also do music then? I guess they just haven't discovered it yet, but I can be wrong about this.

I somehow have the feeling that males are more into fiddling with the unknown than females are. Tracking is something you learn by experimenting. I have the feeling that females use a tracker, and then have something like: "this is too difficult" and stop right there.

But this is just my opinion. I could be wrong about this. I'd be happy to see if a female posts here proving all of us wrong!
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

I say lets just enjoy the one thing women haven't taken away from us....yet

But them I'm a pig :)
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Diamond

I think what it comes down to is that males in general are more technically inclined than females and a tracker definitely requires a more technically oriented mind.  Obviously there are always exceptions, but in general I believe this to be the case.  You'll notice that there are also comparatively a small number of female programmers.

Squirrel Havoc

This conversation leaves me curious, is there anything out there thats the opposite, like more women then men do it? Cuz I can't think of anything.
-

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"This conversation leaves me curious, is there anything out there thats the opposite, like more women then men do it? Cuz I can't think of anything.
Giving birth.

rewbs

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"This conversation leaves me curious, is there anything out there thats the opposite, like more women then men do it? Cuz I can't think of anything.
Giving birth.
multiple orgasms?

Randilyn

Quote from: "rewbs"
Giving birth.
multiple orgasms?

Sex in general.

rewbs

Quote from: "SILOH 3005"
Quote from: "rewbs"
Giving birth.
multiple orgasms?

Sex in general.
:)
Manicures.

LPChip

I do remember a female tracker.

She registered on modplug a while back under the name Dora-D.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

What about Violette, wasnt she a girl?
-

xaimus

no girls on the internets

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "xaimus"no girls on the internets

WHAT?! You mean all those emails about horney girls looking to meet me aren't real?! No! I won't belive it!
-

Sam_Zen

The fact that in this topic the main comments is about horny creatures proves that also this forum is mainly membered by male persons. But a historical fact is, that there are less female composers.
As a counter-aspect, I like to mention some typical behaviour of female pc-users. If they are confronted with some crash or odd behaviour of the machine, they raise their hands in the air, saying : - ooohh, something weird is going on..!
This sounds stupid, but at least, they don't do anything after the incident !! While men when something like that occurs, try to act like 'everything under control' and think : - maybe if I hit F5, something might happen.
So for the helpdesk it is far more confusing what's the problem and, especially : after which action started this ?

LPChip

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"
Quote from: "xaimus"no girls on the internets

WHAT?! You mean all those emails about horney girls looking to meet me aren't real?! No! I won't belive it!

Huh!? Are you also implying that these letters I sent from myself to myself acting as a girl weren't from a girl either? :lol: