Stop looping patterns

Started by Dude, September 14, 2008, 22:39:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

How can I make a pattern go to the next pattern? It just keeps looping the same pattern over and over again. =/

psishock

Oh, you should fill your "order list" like this example:

after that, just press "play" and the song will follow your pattern order setup. ^_^
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Maybe the confusion here is caused by the fact, that there are actually 2 'play' buttons.
One at the top bar, and one on the pattern tab.

psishock

hmmm, on the pattern tab it says clearly "play pattern" and "replay pattern", so it should mean that only plays the currently active pattern. =)

anyway, my strong advice is: use F5 (i mean the button on your keyboard) for song playback, F6 for pattern playback, F7 to play the song from current cursor position and F8 for stopping the song. =)
that should really speed you work up and clear the possible confusions about mouse clicking on the proper button.

Sam_Zen

I agree strongly about using the keyboard for commands. It's much more efficient in a lot of situations.
As a test I planned to do all these action strictly by key, not by mouse.
So I loaded a song.
This appears to be a wrong description of the functions (sorry psishock).
* F5 - F8 - F5 - play song from the start, but after a stop with F8, just go on with the playback from the current cursor.
* F5 - F8 - F6 - play song from the start
* F5 - F8 - F7 - for example stopped playing in pattern 3 with F8. Then F7 will start playing pattern 3 in a loop.
The loop depends on the enabled box of 'Loop Pattern', otherwise the song will continue with the next pattern.

psishock

No need to apologize Sam, thanks for correcting me. ^_^ I found the source of my mistake.
It appears that i have edited those F shortcuts to match my needs, but it happened ages ago, i have totally forgot that those are not actually the default ones. ::)

LPChip

Shift-F5 to always play from the start.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

not necessarily =), possible exception is, if you messed with the shortcut settings like me :D
Simple F5 is the "play from start" like in the good ol' daddy of trackers, IT. =)

älskling

Quote from: "psishock"like in the good ol' daddy of trackers, IT. =)
hehe, to me IT will always be one of those new fancy schmancy DOS trackers with more than 4 channels and instruments and stuff.

Anyway, I'm sure the first reply was spot on so I hope mr Dude won't mind this being slightly off topic.

psishock

I've started my musical life with IT (without a soundcard, on pc speaker !! xD), haven't used instruments back then, just samples, and i was amazed with the possibilities. =) 4 channel wouldn't be enough for nuttin', thats for sure (not even in the starting days for me ;) ). I always needed room for my work, a simple drum or piano sequence example can end up with 6-7 channel now because i really like to separate the notes as much as possible, to have a greater control. (you can squeeze the notes to overlap each other of course, but thats not "elegant" imo) =)

Dude

Sam_Zen

2 psishock
Of course it was about default settings, not any custom kb shortcut setting.
I started with FastTracker, so more based on the XM format instead of the IT one.

2 LPChip
Shift+F5 didn't work here, after doing F5 - F8. F6 does.

LPChip

Quote from: "psishock"not necessarily =), possible exception is, if you messed with the shortcut settings like me :D
Simple F5 is the "play from start" like in the good ol' daddy of trackers, IT. =)

Actuallly, you're wrong here.

Shift-F5 plays from the start, Just F5 is for play/pause. I've also tracked a long time (8 years?) in IT before I switched to modplug, and I even still have a working IT today. I made my IT shortkeys edit entirelly after Impulse Tracker.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

residentgrey

Sam the background stuff would make a good/weird rap beat.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Sam_Zen