[progressive rock] That's What Life is For (MP3)

Started by uncloned, August 26, 2008, 11:41:02

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

Life is For

That's what life is for

To twist you around
Bring you up
Grind you down

That's what life is for

No reason to get mad!
You can't be sad!
It ain't so bad!

It's just what life is for
That's what life is for

You can get your revenge!
Sharpen you knife's edge!
See who you want Dead, Dead, Dead!

It's just what life is for

To make you sit and think
Make you work till you stink
To make you stop and stare and blink

It's all what life is for

You can get your revenge!
Sharpen you knife's edge!
See who you want
Dead, Dead, Dead!
Dead, Dead, Dead!
Dead, Dead, Dead!

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/lifes4.mp3

LPChip

Weird intro, but cool actually :)

It seems to last a bit long though.

After 1 minute sitll with the same sound, I start to wonder if there ever will be a good pounding bass behind it, cus thats what this song needs.

It has some nice changes, but the sound.... it sounds a bit dull, like something went wrong with the EQ. Alot in the mid-range frequencies, and only a little in the bottom and high ends. The high ends don't really need boost, but the bass... its just not there. I'm quite sure it would add alot of power to this song to make it even more powerfull.

Overal, the song is okay I guess, but not a keeper for me. Then again, I do like rock, and also progressive rock, but this seems... different. I also miss screaming electric guitars.

If I thread this song as LQ, and change my EQ settings to boost the bass, it sounds alot better actually. I don't hope that was intentional?

Overall, nice song, but not my style.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

Fair comments

This one I like but it is flawed in several respects

Consider it my mongaloid child

The EQ sounded good this morning on my bose headphones so I decided not to make things worse

I will visit it tonight and see if I can improve it

I no longer have the source

LPChip

Quote from: "uncloned"Fair comments

This one I like but it is flawed in several respects

Consider it my mongaloid child

The EQ sounded good this morning on my bose headphones so I decided not to make things worse

I will visit it tonight and see if I can improve it

I no longer have the source

Then I suspect that your bose headphones add bass to the sound. I've had a similar problem. I had once removed bass from a song because I was hearing more. When burning to cd, and listening on a stereo, I noticed what was missing. :)

The song itself doesn't need editing, just the final master can have an additional EQ to give it more bass. That should fix it.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

Sam_Zen

Cool and daring piece.
The headphone issue comes up here again. It's a bit tricky when reviewing things.
Because final productions often prove to be different if made monitoring with a headphone, from monitoring with room-speakers.
In this case I pity that the bass-lines after 2:49 aren't pronounced much more stronger.
If you haven't got the source anymore, this will be difficult to achieve.

LPChip

Quote from: "uncloned"See how this version sits with you LP.

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/lifes4eq.mp3

Yes this is much better. It still sounds a bit muddy, but thats not so bad compared to what you had before, and I guess that comes due to it being applied to the final mix instead of during development.