VST Instrument Transpose

Started by nobuyuki, October 19, 2008, 07:44:37

Previous topic - Next topic

nobuyuki

I typically write most of my tunes with a base key signature of C, because this is how I'm used to tracking when combined with the old MPT key layout.  In order to give my tunes some variety, I usually transposed the samples of my old tunes to the key signature I wanted the song to be in before writing the tune.  What I'm hoping for is to be able to accommodate this tracking style as well for VST instruments by adding Transpose to the Instrument window.

It could be extended to the note mapping column, but to me I think it would make more sense to put it with the VST options, like this:

LPChip

You can always search/replace for any note and do say... note+1.

That will work.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

Yeah, LP, but then what you hear while you're writing won't be what you hear when you produce the final piece. :/

I guess you've got a couple of possible solutions:

1. Just write it in a different key to begin with. :)
2. Use the transpose function in your plugs, if you've got it.
3. Produce everything in C. :/

Of course, I can see other uses for this functionality, so it could be good to introduce it. I can't imagine it'd be too difficult; after all, you're just adding/subtracting x from each midi note number sent to the plugin.

nobuyuki

yeah that's kinda what I was trying to explain with my original post; is that I like to be able to hear the notes I'm placing down while I'm writing it instead of writing every song in C and then spending several minutes transposing every pattern (remember, you shouldn't transpose drums and other effects without notes!).  It's a huge pain, and there's a reason samples had transpose in it to begin with.... Now hopefully one day we will be able to bring the VST instrument world up to parity with good old samples    :lol:

älskling

You could always have several keyboard layouts and switch between them. Then again, that would probably be a bit confusing...  :wink:

Saga Musix

Instead of adding yet another feature, I have made the keyboard mapping available to VST instruments - Meaning that the mapping known from Impulse Tracker instruments is now also avilable for VST instruments! Since there will be additional "transpose up/down" menu items available for the keymap, it will be easy enough to use, I guess...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

nobuyuki

Saga Musix

Please confirm that this has been implemented as wished in in OpenMPT 1.18.02.00. You may close this thread yourself then (edit first post and set the status in the topic title to S=C).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

nobuyuki

it works!  Would it be possible to bind the context menu options in the instrument tab to the same keys as note transpose in the patterns menu?  (to transpose quickly?)  If not, that's fine.  The feature does work.  thanks :3

Saga Musix

Quote from: "nobuyuki"Would it be possible to bind the context menu options in the instrument tab to the same keys as note transpose in the patterns menu?
Should be possible, I'll have a look.