Covert to wav insert again in mod.quality loss..?

Started by Modplugger, August 19, 2008, 14:03:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Modplugger

What can i do to solve my problem?

When i export /convert 1 track /pattern to wav and insert/import to modplug again, the sound quality is less then before i export.

What's wrong? :cry:

Sam_Zen

This question lacks a lot of information.
What are the dialog-setting during the procedures of exporting and importing ?
I suppose you mean with '1 track /pattern' that you only saved one channel of the pattern with the other channels muted ?
Did the channel contained only one sound, or did it have several notes of some instrument ?

Modplugger

lets say i just made a drumtrack so i used oly one channel.
export it as wav import it again it sound "bad".

QuoteWhat are the dialog-setting during the procedures of exporting and importing ?
What do you mean by dialog settings.

i just export it in 16 or 24

Open Modplug Tracker, version 1.17.02.48

KrazyKatz

Send us a step by step process of what you're doing so we can better help you. Make sure you mention EVERYTHING that shows  and every option you're choosing.

You should be saving as a .wav at least at 44100hz. My guess is your rate is lower than that.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

Do you use somekind of tweaks in MODPlug Tracker, like the EQ? If so, make sure that this doesn't influence the sound in any way. You should disable these when making a song, and only enable it for listening pleasure.

Can you also try to play the exported wave file with another program to see if it sounds the same when importing as when playing with another program? Cus if thats the case, then it is something that goes wrong on export.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

My guess was also the EQ, or if you are using any db boosting setting, it can affect it too. Example if the db boost is 2 high, loading the exported sample yet again will recive every time a great ammount of db boost on playback, and most likely will cause clipping -> will sound distorted or "bad".
(about the same goes to EQ and every other "voice shape" modifying setting)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Yep, this is one of the more 'clumsy' parts of MPT : The Player tab of the Setup dialog.
Especially beginners should be warned about :
1 - Any enabled sound-modulation there is not only applied to realtime playback, but also to an exporterted WAV.
2 - MPT remembers the latest setting of the Player tab for the next time it will be run.

Both require checking that tab, before being sure to work with a flat, dry piece. A bit of annoyance, I must say.
Of course 1 and 2 also can be used as an advantage in some circumstances.

Modplugger

Quote from: "LPChip"Do you use somekind of tweaks in MODPlug Tracker, like the EQ? If so, make sure that this doesn't influence the sound in any way. You should disable these when making a song, and only enable it for listening pleasure.

Can you also try to play the exported wave file with another program to see if it sounds the same when importing as when playing with another program? Cus if thats the case, then it is something that goes wrong on export.

i dont use any Eq's.. just try it your self take a vsti make a melody export as wav import it then you wil hear what i mean...

LPChip

Quote from: "Modplugger"
Quote from: "LPChip"Do you use somekind of tweaks in MODPlug Tracker, like the EQ? If so, make sure that this doesn't influence the sound in any way. You should disable these when making a song, and only enable it for listening pleasure.

i dont use any Eq's.. just try it your self take a vsti make a melody export as wav import it then you wil hear what i mean...

You haven't answered my earlier question though. If you play the wav file that you just exported of modplug in another application, like windows media player... does it sound the same as when you import it in openmpt? or the same as when it plays in openmpt?

And as for EQ, I'm refering to the setup->player tab. There are 5 sliders (or more?) there that can alter the sound in a bad way.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

As well as all the rest of the stuff there. Personally, I have all of those things turned well and truly off. :)

Modplugger

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "Modplugger"

You haven't answered my earlier question though. If you play the wav file that you just exported of modplug in another application, like windows media player... does it sound the same as when you import it in openmpt? or the same as when it plays in openmpt?

And as for EQ, I'm refering to the setup->player tab. There are 5 sliders (or more?) there that can alter the sound in a bad way.

no it plays good in all the other sounds device's...Only when i import it mpt the sound is bad...

LPChip

So you export your wav file out of modplug. You then open that new wave file in windows media player, and it plays like you hear it in openmpt?

Then you load that same wav file as a new sample, and everything sounds all wrong?

Do you perhaps save as a weird wave file? Like 96khz Stereo on 32 bit or something?

If this happens, then you should also get a box asking how to convert the sample. This usually happens if your wave file is not 16 bits stereo on 44.1 khz. Try changing your OpenMPT to export to this and see if that fixes your issue.

Saga Musix

QuoteDo you perhaps save as a weird wave file? Like 96khz Stereo on 32 bit or something?
or do you load it into a .MOD file?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"
QuoteDo you perhaps save as a weird wave file? Like 96khz Stereo on 32 bit or something?
or do you load it into a .MOD file?

Ahh, good one! Indeed, Make sure that you are working with an .IT file to be sure that thats not the issue.

Modplugger

oke thanks for the answers  i gonna look further.......thanks ...