New version of ModPlug Tracker

Started by Really Weird Person, January 03, 2006, 04:42:34

Previous topic - Next topic

rewbs

Quote from: "Dj Cruk CHIKIN"I thnk another thing u can add to MPT is a shortcut for the octave things.. unless there already is one  8)

If you mean shortcut keys to change octave, yes that's there already - check your keyboard config.

DavidN

Ctrl+Shift+[A or Q] are the defaults for that as far as I'm aware - the trouble is that if Trillian or ICQ is open in the background, Ctrl+Shift+A doesn't work. Has anyone else had this problem?

Dj Cruk CHIKIN

Eat... Its good for you.

rewbs

Ctrl+Shift+[A or Q] changes the octave of the selected notes in the pattern editor, / and * change the active octave (the octave of the new notes you enter in the pattern editor).

Wong, see here: http://www.nucleuscms.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3&view=next&sid=b3242aad08a936729abd90d4e354523a . You should either change that key binding in Trillian or in MPT.

DavidN

Aha, thanks. That's fixed it. I suppose it's the kind of thing I should have Googled, really.

Matt Hartman

Quote from: "Wong"Ctrl+Shift+[A or Q] are the defaults for that as far as I'm aware - the trouble is that if Trillian or ICQ is open in the background, Ctrl+Shift+A doesn't work. Has anyone else had this problem?

hehe yeah. that is until I uninstalled Trillian and ICQ.

Sacrifices. "ut oh"
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

Dj Cruk CHIKIN

Well... I learned a few useful things there.... But... i know of somehitng else you can maybe add to MPT... Maybe... you can put on the side all of the samples in your sample library, and have them single click and selsected. i find it annoying having to keep goin to "load" and find the sample. it would be more convinient if we had it similar to the way friutyloops does it... Just a suggestion :)
Eat... Its good for you.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Dj Cruk CHIKIN"Well... I learned a few useful things there.... But... i know of somehitng else you can maybe add to MPT... Maybe... you can put on the side all of the samples in your sample library, and have them single click and selsected. i find it annoying having to keep goin to "load" and find the sample. it would be more convinient if we had it similar to the way friutyloops does it... Just a suggestion :)

Hmm, I think I know what you are talking about, and thats what the tree views on the left are for, most specifically the bottom left one. You can browse your collection there, double click to preview, and if you like it, drag and drop on the instrument or sample editor window pane. Is that what you mean?
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Dj Cruk CHIKIN

Hmm... Slightly... However i would perfer the tree if it were like... just click and the sample plays. Just like in friuty so u can make a simple beat on there more quickly and come up with something faster. With the tree, it just loads the sample up. Another thing, the tree can maybe look a little more.... catchy. a bit basic right now. But ill save that for the new system :P
Eat... Its good for you.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Dj Cruk CHIKIN"i would perfer the tree if it were like... just click and the sample plays.

Uh, you can, just click it again, really fast, then it will play  :D
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Sam_Zen

A whole different item :
In the instrument tab, there is the window at the bottom, where one can edit the volume or panning envelope of a sound.
Since there is no indication in that pane about the length of the sample, or a vertical line to show the end of it, it has always been a kind of try and error to make the envelope valid for exactly the whole sound.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"A whole different item :
In the instrument tab, there is the window at the bottom, where one can edit the volume or panning envelope of a sound.
Since there is no indication in that pane about the length of the sample, or a vertical line to show the end of it, it has always been a kind of try and error to make the envelope valid for exactly the whole sound.
This is because an insrument can contain several samples and samples can be played at different pitches, which changes their duration. The unit of the resolution of the envelope editor is ticks, which means that at the default speed (6) six steps equal one row in the pattern editor.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"This is because an insrument can contain several samples and samples can be played at different pitches, which changes their duration.
Although I was talking about a simple instrument containing just one sample, I'm aware of these complications. But even so, in the end, such an instrument has a defined length at the default pitch (C5 I suppose) which could be translated into the full panorama of the envelope editor pane.

Thanks for the useful remark about the connection between the set speed and the number of ticks in a row. Didn't know that.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"This is because an insrument can contain several samples and samples can be played at different pitches, which changes their duration.
Although I was talking about a simple instrument containing just one sample, I'm aware of these complications. But even so, in the end, such an instrument has a defined length at the default pitch (C5 I suppose) which could be translated into the full panorama of the envelope editor pane.

Thanks for the useful remark about the connection between the set speed and the number of ticks in a row. Didn't know that.

Yes. In fact, the grid is the same as the row highlighting. If you have 4/16, then every 4th line will be thicker.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

First I thought : Grid ? What grid ? But after more close investigation I noticed for the first time four extremely thin, so badly visible, vertical lines in the envelope pane. This with a color-setting of :
Highlight songs' time signature off, and Primary Highlight at 16. I can't seem to be able to make this line thicker or change the color.
I noticed also in other songs a different numbers of these vertical lines, but I guess this is the ticks/row connection.
But, at least, this gives progress, because it is some relation between the length of the envelope and time.